Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ARFoundation on iOS freezes

Discussion in 'AR' started by MrMatthias, Oct 2, 2018.

1. MrMatthias

MrMatthias

The app freezes after some time and i can't pause for debugging, or stop the app via xcode. How can i debug this?
    iOS: 12.0
    AR Foundation: preview 18
    ARKit XR Plugin preview 14
    Unity 2018.2.0f2

2. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Does the freeze resemble this issue? It has been fixed for future releases of Unity and we are backporting the change to 2018.3 and maybe 2018.2.

3. MrMatthias

MrMatthias

Thanks, yes, that sounds like it. When will this fix be available? Is there a way to prevent the freeze to occur, or is switching to the Unity ARKit plugin the only viable option for a release in the next two months?

4. Mjubbi

Mjubbi

Any updates on this issue?

5. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

The issue is independent of the ARKit package, but the package happens to be quite affected by it. The issue was resolved in 2018.3b6 but regressed somewhere around 2018.3b9. I'm working on a more permanent fix that should resolve the issue for good. That fix should be in a future release of Unity 2018.3.

6. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Quick update: the fix is working its way through the release cycle. It is currently slated for 2018.3.4, which will likely be released around the end of January.

MrMatthias and rob_ice like this.
  7. Maskedchamo

Maskedchamo

Thanks for the fix!

8. Mjubbi

Mjubbi

Thanks for the update!

9. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

The fix for the hang on iOS got bumped to 2018.3.5. I can't promise it will be in that release, but it's looking promising.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  10. Mjubbi

Mjubbi

I would have loved to see the fix in this version but I really appreciate the updates, thanks!

11. viktor_chernikov

viktor_chernikov

I've checked release notes for both 2018.3.15 and 16 but couldn't find any mention resembling this issue. Can anyone confirm that the fix went through or confirm that it has not?

12. GreeneMachine

GreeneMachine

13. viktor_chernikov

viktor_chernikov

Ah, thank you for pointing it out! Missed it for whatever reason when I was reading the notes first time

14. JellePossiblyPixels

JellePossiblyPixels

I've been having some freeze issues myself but not sure if this is the same issue.
    I'm using Arkit with Facetracking.
    Build for ios 12.2, Unity 2018.3.7
    The apps works pretty good overall, but I've been getting freezes of a couple of seconds at seemingly very random moments. Sometimes after longer use, sometimes right away, in different scenes that all use arkit facetracking and arvideo. It seem impossible to replicate at will.
    After the freezes the app just continues normally.
    Right after the freeze, in xCode I get an error about Command Buffer Execution Aborted, with AIOF Code 5

So far I've seen recommendations of people saying you should disable Anti Aliasing or turn off Environment light but his doesn't solve the issue.
    Anyone got any clue?

15. silenckly

silenckly

it still freeze on 2019.1.14 with 11Pro Max

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019