Search Unity

ARFoundation now supports LWRP 4.8.0-preview

Discussion in 'AR' started by jimmya, Jan 18, 2019.

1. steego

steego

For those looking for a workaround for LWRP, I have put up this project https://github.com/StigOlavsen/LightweightARFoundation that works with the latest versions of the Lightweight render pipeline (project uses 5.13). Only tested with ARKit, but I see no reason it shouldn't also work with ARCore.

Blarp and fotalik like this.
  2. fotalik

fotalik

@steego Hi, this is on Android device:
    upload_2019-5-22_12-46-14.png
    Any ideas?)

3. steego

steego

4. fotalik

fotalik

No, there are no errors about shaders. I also tried to update this shader, but it didn't work. I noticed that when I first started the application on my Android device there are no camera permission messages.
    In the editor, the same situation in Play mode:
    upload_2019-5-22_13-10-33.png

5. MartinGebske

MartinGebske

Ok perhaps I'm too tired for all this stuff. There's the issue with the IBeforeRender Interface which lives in a namespace that doesn't exist anymore.... I'm forced to add namespaces until all errors are gone and end up with the
    SetRenderTarget Method... that doesn't exist anymore or takes different arguments.

To be honest... this is very poor. So LWRP is STILL not production ready. I don't expect toying around with the code, keeping my fingers crossed that everything works and getting a punch in the face afterwards.

I've already reported an issue regarding this very silly situation. Hope they'll fix it ASAP.

6. fotalik

fotalik

7. BobbyVR

BobbyVR

Hello,

I am using the "lwrp-support-2019.1-with-2.1 branch" I am trying to build to IOS with the ARKitFaceBlendShapes sample. I followed all the steps for lwrp to work with ARfoundation.

But in Unity 2019.1.5f1 and I cannot load tested packages such as:

"com.unity.render-pipelines.core": "4.0.1",
    "com.unity.render-pipelines.lightweight": "4.0.1,
    "com.unity.shadergraph": "3.3.0",

or
    "com.unity.render-pipelines.core": "4.8.0",
    "com.unity.render-pipelines.lightweight": "4.8.0",
    "com.unity.shadergraph": "3.3.0",

I get the following error. The error message is attached below "notsupportedPackage.png" and "notsupportedPackage4.8.0.png"

1. Is there a workaround for loading these older packages in Unity 2019.1.5f1?

2. Or can you direct me to the latest tested and working packages if I should not be using lightweight render-pipeline 4.8.0, render-pipelines.core 4.0.1, or shader graph 3.3.0?

Also, I have tested the latest versions with the SampleLWRPScene, So it seems that the latest version as of today will not work? Unity seems to work fine and compile but I get the Xcode build error message which is also attached below "Screen Shot 2019-... .png"
    "com.unity.render-pipelines.core": "5.6.1",
    "com.unity.render-pipelines.lightweight": "5.6.1",
    "com.unity.shadergraph": "5.7.2",

Thank you!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  8. BobbyVR

BobbyVR

Hi All,

The LightweightARFoundation on StigOlavsen git repo works!! This is the only version of ARFoundation and LWRP that I have seen actually works on IphoneX.

But the "camera background" renders very grainy. Is there a way to fix this???

Also please let me know if anyone found any other ARFoundation and LWRP workarounds/versions that actually build to a IOS device?

VERSIONS:
    "com.unity.postprocessing": "2.1.6",
    "com.unity.render-pipelines.lightweight": "5.13.0",
    "com.unity.shadergraph": "5.13.0",

Unity 2019.1.3f1

createtheimaginable likes this.
  9. steego

steego

Sorry, forgot to update the repository, this should be fixed now. The issue is that when using linear rendering, the camera image needs to be gamma corrected. In the latest commit this is added to the background shaders.

10. dnoparker

dnoparker

AR.png

I have AR Foundation with LWRP setup using lwrp-support-2018.3-with-1.5 branch. Everything works as expected when I am just using the LWRP materials. But when I switch to a shader graph material, the shadows look like this in AR (Right). Even though they look fine in the editor (Left)

Any ideas? I know this might be unrelated to the ARFoundation side, but it's worth asking!

11. deltamish

deltamish

Hey,

Just Set up my new LWRP project with AR Foundation by installing the required packages.
    I set up a scene as well following this tutorial
    But when I build it for Android. All I am seeing is a black screen. Nothing else.

Any clue on whats happening ?

Thanks

12. unnanego

unnanego

AR Foundation is not supported with latest versions.

13. yogi_kenobi

yogi_kenobi

Hi,

The quite heavy flux of LWRP/AR Foundation/Unity versions seems almost impossible to wrap ones head around what should work and what not, especially if you are just getting into all this.

Is there any (up to date) info anywhere that would list which combinations of these pieces should work together and which not?

And then there's the question about remoting but I guess let's not get into that...

Blarp likes this.
  14. virtualHCIT

virtualHCIT

It is actually getting very inconvenient. We are a company focused on AR production and we license Unity as our main engine. A new version of Unity has been released and we still have to constantly downgrade the LWRP and Shader Graph to be able to use them with AR Foundation, and this is to versions that don't even show up in the package manager anymore.

We can't take advantage of any new improvements to these due to the lack of support and we are lagging behind more and more. The kind of experiences we develop benefit greatly from the quality of the LWRP and custom shader graph shaders. Is AR foundation being deprecated and not developed anymore? Or is the compatibility that difficult to fix so it can be used with the current LWRP version? We would appreciate an answer since it would help our production planning greately.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  15. Voronoi

Voronoi

I was able to get ARFoundation and LWRP working using this branch on Git:

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/arfoundation-samples/tree/lwrp-support-2019.1-with-2.1

However, it's a massive pain to keep up with. Had to downgrade my project from 2019.2 > 2019.1.f13 and basically copy/paste the Git sample manifest.json, once I got that samples project working. I think this obviously has to do with the camera and LWRP, but why they announce that ARFoundation supports LWRP and then shortly after, it doesn't...

16. lmartellmc

lmartellmc

Just echoing that this back and forth is also super frustrating for me. I'm about ready to give up on both LWRP and AR Foundation entirely because it feels like building a project on a hill of sand. Stability and documentation are sorely lacking for both. Is there a centralized resource for up-to-date info that I just haven't found? I'm piecing things together through forums and bug reports and dozens of videos, almost all of which are old and irrelevant.

ziemlich3D, unnanego and newguy123 like this.
  17. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

I keep wanting to try LWRP for projects that have come up this year, but every time I assess whether its time to make the transition, there are too many reasons (especially in the case of ARFoundation) to avoid it. Maybe in 2020!

newguy123 and unnanego like this.
  18. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Hi folks,

Traditionally, ARFoundation hasn't had great LWRP support. In fact, the current sample that we have only works in 2019.1 and with a very specific version of LWRP. We've been working on improving this situation, and the next version will optionally support both LWRP and the (new) Universal Render Pipeline.

-Tim

Saicopate and Blarp like this.
  19. Blarp

Blarp

20. tdemachy

tdemachy

Hello,
    I've ported the LWRP support for 2019.2 and the latest versions of LWRP from 5.7 and ARFoundation 2.x
    You can find it on my fork of the AR Foundation samples : https://github.com/tdemachy/arfoundation-samples.git and the branch lwrp-support-2019.2
    Developping on Android, I have not tested this port for iOS, but there is no reason it should not work.

Don't hesitate to give me your feedback.

/Thomas

21. todds_unity

todds_unity