Search Unity

ARFoundation lwrp texture artifacts - not on Editor but mobile

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Tarrag, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Tarrag

Tarrag

Hi, this is happening with photogrammetry reality capture originally generated textures that are then rebaked as is the standard workflow. I'm finding both on Editor and sketchfab show no artifacts. However when run on ARFoundation iOS artifacts show.

Not sure if this is where this belong so I've also posted the issue on AR/XR-Handheld discussions https://forum.unity.com/threads/arf...ig-artifacts-not-on-editor-but-mobile.745436/

I tried rebaking with XNormal and Substance but artifacts remain. Only when I remove the normal map artifacts disappear. Textures used are albedo, normal, AO and are tifs 8-bit. Material LWRP Lit/Workflow Specular/Surface type Opaque/Render Face Front/

Attached Unity editor, Sketchfab (ske.jpg) and AR Foundation (ARF.jpg) on iOS snapshots.

Issue occurs on ARF 3.0 prev .2 on Unity 2019.2.2f1, lwrp 6.9.1 with postprocessing 2.1.7 (removed this but artifacts remain). It also occurs on 2019.1.3f1 lwrp 5.13.0 ARF 2.1.0 prev .3 postprocessing 2.1.6

Can someone shed some light what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• unity.jpg
      unity.jpg
      File size:
      167 KB
      Views:
    • ske.jpg
      ske.jpg
      File size:
      230.6 KB
      Views:
    • ARF.jpg
      ARF.jpg
      File size:
      172.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Shane_Michael

Shane_Michael

That looks less like something you might be doing wrong, and more like a bug in the shader or the texture settings. If you can submit the model in a bug report, that is probably your best bet.

It looks like part of the normal map is getting mapped to the wrong range, but it's strange that it would only happen to part of your object. If you poke at it with a stick for a while maybe you can figure out what is different about that part of your texture/model and come up with a temporary workaround.

Looks like a high poly mesh and if you have too many vertices, maybe Unity is automatically splitting the mesh into multiple submeshes and the second submesh is somehow forgetting that your normal map is supposed to be a normal map (i.e. a bug in the texture configuration for multiple submeshes using the same material). If you split it manually into two meshes to stay under the vertex limit, maybe it will render properly. That is just a shot in the dark, though.

3. Tarrag

Tarrag

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts @CaptainScience . Your lead made me think about scaling which proved to be the issue. I rescaled modify transform in maya so I use scale 1 in Unity and it works. In case someone else comes across this issue. Cheers