Search Unity

ARFoundation + LWRP + iOS Energy Consumption

Discussion in 'AR' started by KrikeyAdmin, Dec 20, 2018.

1. KrikeyAdmin

KrikeyAdmin

In our project we are using ARFoundation with ARKit., we've switched over to the LWRP in hopes of lessening battery consumption. However this doesn't seem to have helped much with resolving this issue.

I tested an active ARSession with a single 3d object for 10 minutes straight on an iPhone6s and drained 8% battery in that time. Is this expected given our project setup?

Testing further, I've spent some time using the Unity profiler on my iphone6s and have found constant spikes in CPU that are specifically tied to: Gfx.ReadbackImage

Doing some research, it sounds like this is executed when rendering data has to be copied between the GPU and CPU which is quite slow. I also have read that this has to do with Unity's Global Illumination feature. Is it possible to disable this?

I've attached a screenshot at a moment in time when a CPU spike occurs. Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 12.33.45 PM.png

Any other tips or ideas of how we can have less battery drain in our project?

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 11.14.10 AM.png

2. newguy123

newguy123

Did you already do the recommended settings from here:

3. KrikeyAdmin

KrikeyAdmin

@newguy123
    Thank you for sharing, I'm going to take the suggested measures and see how it helps!

newguy123 likes this.