Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ARFoundation image tracking reliability

Discussion in 'AR' started by hyperbaton, Aug 21, 2020.

1. hyperbaton

hyperbaton

Hi,

I'm looking for assistance improving image tracking capability with ARFoundation.
    In general it works and I'm able to track images (currently tracking just one image at a time), attach prefabs etc..

I'm coming from using Vuforia and trying to get rid of that dependance to be able to use just ARFoundation reliably. However, for now, Vuforia works better and faster in my opinion.

My question is: what are the general guidelines for using ARFoundation image tracking reliably?
    • Suggested image size in the library? Can the images be really large to improve tracking or should they be smaller for faster performance?
    • What about light conditions? I understand that the place need to be bright enough, but does that light conditions affect tracking..? e.g direct sunlight vs ambient light vs tangent etc.. ?
    • Is it a good practice to have multiple images of the same object to improve recognition and tracking? Or does that confuse ARFoundation, since it will find pretty similar images? Some of the objects I'm trying to "recognise" and track contain reflective surfaces (e.g bottles, glossy badges... you name it), so under different angle of view depending if there is a reflection of light or not tracking becomes tricky. Vuforia seem to handle this rather well.
    • Can the ImageReference library be really large? Like containing hundreds or thousands of images?
    • Perhaps a newer version (5?) of ARFoudantion is in works that solves all of my tracking problems? :)
    • Does anyone have an example project with reliable image tracking under various lighting conditions that I can try out? (I already checked out the ARFoundation Examples repo on github)
    P.S: I'm not praising Vuforia, on the contrary I would like to be able to use ARFoundation instead. Btw I'm using the latest version 4.

Any input is appreciated

2. eulphean

eulphean

Hello any response?

3. mgear

mgear

4. FrankvHoof

FrankvHoof

ARFoundation is a 'wrapper' around the specific underlying technologies that exist for AR (e.g. ARKit, ARCore, Windows MR, etc.).
    Furthermore: the accuracy can depend on the specific device you are using (e.g. iPhone 5 vs iPhone X).

For the most part, check the documentation of the Provider you are creating your game for.
    This includes both the Unity Documentation (for the XR Plugin) (e.g. https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.xr.arkit@4.1/manual/index.html ) and the Company Documentation (for the underlying SDK) (e.g. https://developer.apple.com/documentation/arkit ).

TreyK-47 likes this.