Search Unity

ARFoundation - How to get camera orientation?

Discussion in 'AR' started by grubertm, Apr 16, 2019.

1. grubertm

grubertm

When calling TryGetLatestImage() I get the camera image in whatever orientation the device might consider its default. What is the recommended way to query that orientation?
    For example if I start the app in Portrait orientation the data I get from TryGetLatestImage() might be in Landscape Left or Landscape Right. Where is that information exposed?

2. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

TryGetLatestImage exposes the raw, unrotated camera data. It will always be in the same orientation (landscape right, I believe). The purpose of this API is to allow for additional CPU-based image processing, such as with OpenCV or other computer vision library. These libraries usually have a means to rotate images, or accept images in various orientations, so we there is no built-in functionality to rotate the image.

For what are you using the camera image, and why do you need to rotate it?

3. grubertm

grubertm

We have an existing tensorflow segmentation model that was trained on portrait oriented images. I would like to feed the AR Foundation image to it but for that I first need to know whether any rotation needs to be applied or not.

4. grubertm

grubertm

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  5. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

6. grubertm

grubertm

I would think Screen.orientation only solves half the problem. It tells me how the screen is oriented. It doesn't tell me how the device's camera is oriented/mounted with regards to the screen.

7. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

It should always be the same. Are you finding it different on different devices?

8. grubertm

grubertm

9. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

A previous version of Google's computer vision sample for the ARCore Unity SDK obtained the physical camera's orientation. Here is how they did it: https://github.com/google-ar/arcore...sion/Scripts/ComputerVisionController.cs#L248

Luckily, it's all in C#, so you should just be able to copy and paste
    _GetCameraImageToDisplayRotation
    for your own needs. I'll also see about getting this into AR Foundation proper.

grubertm likes this.
  10. grubertm

grubertm

Great. Thank you for your help Tim!

11. vincentfretin

vincentfretin

For anyone finding this thread, I put some code using Screen.orientation on this GitHub issue

FaberVi likes this.
  12. FaberVi

FaberVi

Incredible how nothing has been implemented yet in the ARFoundation example. It seems to me a very fundamental thing for the full functioning of the example itself. Could I ask you to fully coexist the part of code to rotate the preview correctly? There are some parts that I can't understand. Thank you