Search Unity

ARFoundation - Face Mesh on iPhone 6s-SE-7-8

Discussion in 'AR' started by monda, May 14, 2020.

1. monda

monda

Hi guys, I'm currently doing some R&D for an iOS/Android App which uses the front camera to create a mesh, read vertex position and according to vertex distance it figures out some very basic "Emotion Reading".

Using ARFoundation it works great on both iOS and Android but it doesn't work on iPhones without the true depth camera, what I don't understand is why it works on Android devices without a true depth camera but not on iOS? Is there a way to make it works on those devices?

Currently I'm spending several ours a day to find a solution but so far..no luck. Any idea?

Thanks!

2. m4d

m4d

iPhone X was the first phone to support facetracking so i'd be very surprised if it would work on iOS phones older than that.

3. monda

monda

Yeah I get that but ARFoundation uses both ARKit and ARCore, ARCore Face Mesh works with "Regular" cameras exactly like the ones on iPhone SE,6s,7 and 8. I assumed that ARFoundation will switch to ARCore on phones without True Depth Camera :(

LuongCongDan likes this.
  4. figo514

figo514

Unity project built for IOS is not working on iphone 8 and iphone11, looks like you need the 3rd camera, the LiDAR Scanner.