Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question ARfoundation- extreme overheating

Discussion in 'AR' started by swifter14, Jan 8, 2023.

1. swifter14

swifter14

My phone gets extra hot when simply testing Unity's sample AR scene, which is an empty scene.
    It happens when the ar camera is on. (I even limited the frame rate)
    Is there anything to do about that? How do other AR apps don't get so hot? Is it only because of Unity? AR foundation?

2. andyb-unity

andyb-unity

Unity Technologies

Which sample scene are you referring to? Simple AR? https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/arfoundation-samples#simple-ar

None of the AR Foundation sample scenes are empty. Some of them have states where they don't render geometry, but you can look at the XR Origin in the scene to see which managers are present and enabled. Enabled managers cause the underlying AR platform to do work (which in turn causes the device to heat up), regardless of whether the scene contains any geometry.

From our docs:

Active AR features can cause the device to consume more power, so it is a good practice to disable managers when your app isn't using their features.

What device are you using?

3. swifter14

swifter14

I'm just referring to the sample scene that comes with Unity 2022.1.23f1 - a new AR project.
    It has Directional Light, AR Session, AR Session Origin+AR camera.
    The managers are- AR Plane Manager, AR Anchor manager, AR Raycast Manager
    But I assume I need them all.
    I'm using Android S8 and also iphone pro 13.

The main heating issue is when the AR Camera is on.
    If Unity's sample scene gives heating issues, then my app will get much worse because it has extra scripts and prefabs

And what should I do when using AR Tracked Image manager? I'd like it to be always enabled so I can keep scan new images without clicking any buttons

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
  4. andyb-unity

andyb-unity

Unity Technologies

I recommend reading the documentation link I posted above. None of the AR Foundation managers are required. The plane manager enables plane detection, anchor manager enables adding/removing/tracking anchors, and raycast manager enables raycasting. If your app doesn't need these features then you can delete associated managers from your scene.

Sure, keep it enabled then! :D

Personally I test on an iPhone 13 Pro every day and don't experience any thermal issues? However, note that Samsung has discontinued the S8. I would expect it to run hotter given its 6-year age, discontinued firmware, and relatively lower specs.