Search Unity

Question ARFoundation + ARCore : very laggy planes and features tracking

Discussion in 'AR' started by danielesuppo, Mar 4, 2022.

1. danielesuppo

danielesuppo

Hello, I'm just testing the ARFoundation sample scenes on GitHub, and I'm experiencing a very bad features tracking, with all the provided scenes.
    I've did some test both indoor and outdoor, and the result is quite disappointing.
    The frame rate of the app is 30 fps:

- horizontal planes are slow to be detected, and when I move the phone the tracking has a lot of lag
    - vertical planes take forever to be detected, and when I move the phone the tracking has a lot of lag

Unfortunately my phone is a bit old (Samsung S8), but as far as I remember when I did some test on the same phone with the ARCore SDK about 4 years ago (there was no ARFoundation at the time), the features tracking and plane detection was working a lot better...

Maybe I'm missing something, to improve the tracking/plane detection quality, or it's just ARFoundation that working on the top of ARCore give a worse result?

And, maybe would it be possible to use again the old good ARCore SDK with the new Unity versions, instead of ARFoundation?

I'm using Unity 2021.2 + ARFoundation 5.0.0-pre.8

Many thanks!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  2. unnanego

unnanego

same question

3. WarpBubble

WarpBubble

Me too. Tracking looks really bad, objects are floating all over the place as you move the camera. I'm using a Samsung S20 FE 5G (the one with the more powerful snapdragon chip) so I was expecting better performance.

4. ankur-unity

ankur-unity

Unity Technologies

5. probitaille

probitaille

I also still have my Samsung S8 and I don't have this kind of problem actually. Maybe it's the performance of your project?

6. kartoonist435

kartoonist435

Did you ever get a response on this? It seems to me that the issue is from 2020 - 2021. If you build the samples for each and run them the 2020 Unity tracks considerably better. Not sure what happened in 2021.