Search Unity

ARFoundation, and updating environment probes...

Discussion in 'AR' started by christougher, Feb 3, 2020.

1. christougher

christougher

In the example projects at https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/arfoundation-samples I'm able to get environment probes working and the reflections are nice, but they only update like every 10 seconds or so and jarringly so. Anyone know how to get the environment probes to update every frame or something similar? I have the prefab set to update all faces every frame but of course that gets changed to updating via script... Thx!
    @tdmowrer @todds_unity

2. christougher

christougher

3. christougher

christougher

4. kennyd-itp

kennyd-itp

When using the reflection probe feature in a native app with SceneKit it does fade between probes when they are updated, which is a lot nicer than the immediate switch we get in Unity. I'm guessing the Reflection Probe system can't really do this, unless you're using multiple probes and the Blend Probes feature... But it's not entirely clear to me how to set that up in an AR scenario and have it work properly.

Updating/recreating the probe every frame to solve this issue doesn't seem realistic, it takes a while for probes to update on the native side, and how and when they are updated is a black box as far as I can tell.

Does anyone on Unity's XR tools team have any input on this?

5. christougher

christougher

Thx for the Reilly! In my situation, it's pretty simplistic because I only have one reflection probe in the scene that is a child to the camera, so updating one probe every frame is doable. I can see how that could get terribly cumbersome quick for the more typical use case

6. shibi2017

shibi2017

Hi christougher, how can I update a probe every frame? seems you found the way.

7. christougher

christougher

Set the probe to Type: realtime with Refresh mode to Every Frame