Search Unity

Bug ARFoundation 5.0 doesn't work on Samsung S22 Ultra

Discussion in 'AR' started by Boerdler2, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Boerdler2

Boerdler2

Hello community,

I want to ask, if someone else has problems with ARFoundation on a Samsung S22 Ultra. I don't even can get the SimpleAR scene working from the samples. After installing and starting the app, I see the splash screen, the camera permisson gets requested and after that point, where usually the camera gets initialised, the phone immediately freezes. Then I have to wait and press the power button to crash the app. I think this is a bug or an incompatibility issue from ARFoundation, because I tested other apps from the PlayStore, which also use ARCore but without Unity, and they work just fine. But maybe I am missing something. I used everything up to date:

IDE and packages:
    *Unity 2021.2.13f1
    *ARFoundation 5.0.0-pre.8 (and all of its resources like Google ARCore XR Plugin from github)
    *XR Core Utilities and XR Interaction Toolkit 2.0.0.-pre.6

S22 Ultra:
    *see screenshot

EDIT: I even tried to set the target api to level 31 (Android 12). The Android module shipped with the Unity Hub installation doesn't support this level, so I got an build error. Nevertheless I already fixed it by updating the SDK through the sdkmanager.bat in the Unity Editor's .../Editor/Data/PlaybackEngines/AndroidPlayer/... folder. With this the build error is resolved and I can build for target api level 31, but the app still isn't working on the phone (same issue as mentioned above). I also tested the same build on my older Samsung S9+, there everything works fine.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  2. lalefi

lalefi

Hi, I also have the same problem, did you find a solution?

SHAREit

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
  3. Boerdler2

Boerdler2

Sorry, still no workaround or fix. I have put the topic aside for now, until there is a solution or fix.

EDIT: Also submitted a bug report now.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  4. Juized

Juized

Having the same issues on the standard Samsung Galaxy S22. Any updates on this?

5. Boerdler2

Boerdler2

No updates yet :(

6. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

Please don't use preview packages unless you have a strong reason to. Do you experience the same issue with a verified version of AR Foundation?

7. Boerdler2

Boerdler2

Same issue with verified versions. That was the reason why I picked the latest preview package.

8. Juized

Juized

An update has been pushed to my S22 a few days ago and my AR Foundation projects magically work again. It seems to be a Samsung issue.

Can any of you confirm that after updating your phone fixes it?

Attached Files:

9. FrederikH

FrederikH

I can confirm that it works on my S22+ now after an update

10. ahuaynam

ahuaynam

Good morning, I have the Galaxy s22 Ultra device, this device is on the list of compatible devices on the official ARCORE website, but currently no apk runs nor do the test ones install and close. Someone who can help me please

11. DiogoSB

DiogoSB

Hi, have the same problem with S22, Galaxy Tab S8 and S21 FE. Any suggestions?

12. liahn

liahn

In my case, Uninstall "Google play AR Service" and re-install "Google play AR Service". Then it works