Search Unity

ARFoundation - 100s of different prefabs to place and configurator

Discussion in 'AR' started by newguy123, Feb 4, 2019.

1. newguy123

newguy123

Hi all

This question overlaps a bit with ARFoundation as well as general Unity knowledge, so I thought I'd ask here.
    If I need to a build a AR furniture catalogue app, with hundreds of prefab models, each with their own set of 5 different materials to choose from in a configurator kind of style (place model, choose material), what is the general thing I need to do?

I take it such an app will be huge and not be able to install 1 shot. Do I need to create a kind of database, or perhaps have the models downloaded from the store as the user needs them?

In other words, the app will just be the base AR app, then when a user chooses the prefab from a catalogue, only then that single model its downloaded instantly. Or will that be too slow? I will need ALL models already in the app?

If somebody can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it

I'm thinking like the IKEA AR app, but not as many different models, only maybe 100 or so

2. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

You might want to have a look at Asset Bundles.

newguy123 likes this.
  3. newguy123

newguy123

Is Asset Bundles still the way to go for this?
    Would DOTS help in any way? I seem to recall a demo Unity did with AR Foundation and DOTS, where bunch of plants and flying cars was added to the scene.

Also, can these assets sit somewhere in an App Store and downloaded on demand, or do they need to be downloaded from a 3rd party site, like my own web server for example?