Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ARFoundation 1.0.0-preview.19 published; includes CPU camera texture access

Discussion in 'AR' started by tdmowrer, Oct 13, 2018.

1. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Hi folks,

A request I've heard a lot recently is the ability to get the raw camera texture pixels on the CPU for computer vision or other custom processing applications. While was already possible, it involved reading data back from the GPU, which can be slow. No longer!

ARFoundation now supports raw camera image access on both ARCore and ARKit with a new Camera Image API. The documentation includes samples code snippets, and you can find a functional sample over on the ARFoundation Samples Github repo.

Cheers,
    Tim

2. austin_unity382

austin_unity382

Hi there.

Thanks for all your work on ARFoundation. I upgraded all of my XR components today to fix the iOS 12 bug reported here:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/whe...-on-off-the-memory-usage-is-too-large.544643/

As part of this, I also upgraded ARFoundation to 1.0.0-preview.19. Now after enabling and disabling the ARSession a couple of times, I'm getting an illegal memory access crash within the CameraImageApi.

I'm building for iPhone 8 running iOS 12. Attached is a screenshot of XCode at the time of the crash.

I can also file a proper bug report if you'd like.

Thanks,

Austin

Attached Files:

3. Saicopate

Saicopate

Same bug here, I returned to v.18 and it's ok.

austin_unity382 likes this.
  4. GreeneMachine

GreeneMachine

Hi @tdmowrer
    I too experienced issues on IOS after upgrading to ARFoundation 19.. I also tracked down a crash to Arkit 16.. I ended up building with different combinations of versions of packages to get a stable enough build.
    My question is, what versions of the folliwing should "currently" work best based on your testing (simply updating all to the latest does not work best)

Arfoundation package
    ARKit package
    Unity versiin
    Xcode version
    Min target ios version

Are these thing tightly coupled and where is the best place to check dependencies between them when each are updated?

Thanks

austin_unity382 and dyuldashev like this.
  5. RaventurnStefan

RaventurnStefan

Does preview.19 require XCode 10 or XCode 9.x for an iOS build? Thank you!