Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ARENA (A hand painted video game)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by claybornp, Apr 24, 2019.

1. claybornp

claybornp

Hey everyone!
    It's been a long time since I've been on this forum...o_O but now i'm back with a new game called ARENA!

Arena was hand painted in acrylic paint, cut up in photoshop, and animated in unity.
    I like to think of the game as a moving painting!

Here is the trailer:

If anyone is interested in playing a demo, let me know and I will send you a download link.

L2GX and rereverb like this.
  2. JohnPet

JohnPet

That is, truely, a work of art!

claybornp likes this.
  3. anodyne3

anodyne3

I love it! Looks amazing

claybornp likes this.
  4. claybornp

claybornp

*i'm blushing!*

also, (general game update), I've posted a new demo build, version 0.3 on itch.io. Let me know if you'd like a download code :)

5. JohnPet

JohnPet

I would like to give it a try :)

6. claybornp

claybornp

(general game update)
    I've posted new builds (version 0.4) for OS X and Windows on itch.io!
    This time, instead of using unique download links, I've made the download page accessible via password.

The download page is: https://claypeterson.itch.io/arena
    and the password is: goblin

7. Stand_Alone_Guy

Stand_Alone_Guy

pretty good game tbh :D 9/10. You should have tried reusing the same image sprite and give it some offset especially the player's hand to make it a bit animated and would also save you some time

8. claybornp

claybornp

Thank you!!! were the hands not animating?? Did it not look like they do in the trailer?

9. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

Not my favorite kind of art direction but this is very unique, amazing, well done.:)
    I realized mostly western games are FPS / TPS + Guns + Space / Medieval.
    Is this a western trend or culture? Just curious. Hmm...

10. claybornp

claybornp

Thank you! Haha and Idk! I’ve always made games in a medieval fantasy world, call me boring :p

11. claybornp

claybornp

I think we’re torn between the old world and the new one

12. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

@claybornp
    Hahaha, you also don't know. That is interesting.:D
    Time for me to do some research, see if I could find any info.
    My guess is due to western culture and their growing background, maybe.

Oh ya, one suggestion. Try to find a way to separate between enemies and environment.
    Now it looks they are blending together. Although I know that there has a HP bar beyond.
    Keep it up.;)

13. claybornp

claybornp

Big Update!!
    Hey everyone!
    It's been a while since I posted an update but I'm back with something cool!

Whats News?
    1. The Enchiridion:
    I spend the last month building a web application for storing user profiles that I call the "enchiridion". My big idea with Arena, and the subsequent sequels, is that the achievements that the player earns in one game are carried into the others and provide special bonuses, for example: starting perks, special armor, extra levels... yadayada.

2. Login: Arena now has a login screen that allows you create a user profile on the enchiridion and begin tracking stats (kills, deaths, wins, losses). But don't worry, you can still play without logging in.

3. Leaderboard:
    Arena now has a global leaderboard system so that you can see how you compare against everyone else!

4. Updater: Arena now checks the enchiridion for the latest version, and popups an update download UI if a new version exists.

My plan for the next update is to include the final 10 levels and introduce multiplayer.

Go check it out: https://claypeterson.itch.io/arena
    password: goblin

rereverb likes this.
  14. rereverb

rereverb

Wow! I just walking around here but your art is very interesting..., between grunge music and collage style but very surrealist too. I want to play for this reason! Good luck!

15. claybornp

claybornp

Hey everyone! It took me two full years of development, but I finished it! ARENA 1.0 is complete. I previously hosted the game on itch.io, but I have since moved it over to Steam for Mac and PC. The game will release on May 20th, 2020, and you can wishlist it here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1291530/Arena/

Thank you to everyone who popped into this thread over the years and supported my development. This is not the end! I have DLC in the pipeline. I'm working on multiplayer, new maps, new character types... you know me...

Clay