Search Unity

Area Lights with short range baking issue

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by ssurget, Dec 3, 2019.

1. ssurget

ssurget

Hi,

There is an issue when baking Area Light in HDRP and the range is not big enough to cover the hole object.

This is the light in realtime:
    Screen Shot 12-03-19 at 10.58 AM.PNG

And the same light baked:
    Screen Shot 12-03-19 at 10.59 AM.PNG

The fading disappears because of the area light range.
    If I set the range bigger than my cube's face, then there is no discrepancy, but obviously it's not the same lighting.

Is this a known issue ?

2. ssurget

ssurget

I also want to add that beyond the range issue, baking an Area light (rectangular) results in a Point light being baked instead most of the time. Sometimes, it happens to work and do bake the Area light, but we are struggling to get it to work on a regular basis.

Can someone at Unity check the baking of Area rectangular light? The difference between the realtime light and the baked one is quite extreme.

Here is an exemple :

Realtime light :
    Screen Shot 12-04-19 at 01.57 PM.PNG

Baked :
    Screen Shot 12-04-19 at 01.58 PM.PNG

CloeMolinari and KorvenYogg like this.
  3. marlin_fabervisio

marlin_fabervisio

I have the same Issue in URP.
    Replacing my Area Lights by spotlights may solve it for me. Still pretty annoying.

4. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

Hello, please note that in HDRP, range attenuation is not supported for Baked Area Lights.
    When baking an area light, it's range will match the sphere gizmo displayed, unlike with realtime area lights

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  5. Camarent

Camarent

What do you mean by range attenuation? It is not the same as range parameters in Area lIght?

I mean we have range parameter in realtime and baked light and it looks like it's working differently.
    What I confused me the most in it is why realtime light extremely brighter than baked if you say that baked do not support range attenuation? It is like realtime light use instensity based world light distribution and baked light adjusts light distribution to its range parameter.

6. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

No it's a different setting
    In realtime mode, there is a "Range Attenuation" checkbox in the advanced settings of the emission section. With a baked light, this checkbox is forced to false.