Search Unity

Area light ignoring objects behind its shadow cone

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by newerish, Apr 5, 2020.

1. newerish

newerish

Hi everyone,

Please see the attached images. The area lights illuminate past the walls, as their shadows are marked by the blue lines. Why this is happening and how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. The project rendering is by HDRP.

Attached Files:

2. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

thin walls i think

3. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Please provide some more info on the light setup you are using. Are the shadows realtime or baked? Are the walls set to cast shadow? Do the lights have cast shadow enabled?

4. newerish

newerish

Sorry for the late reply. All shadows are realtime. Walls are set to double-sided shadows and the lights have shadows as well. Attached are screenshots of one of the area lights and the wall object (it is a child of a root gameObject in the scene). Other lights (a directional and a few point lights) work fine. It's only the area lights that have problems. I also changed both the light and wall's "static" value but didn't make a difference. I also changed wall's shadow to "on", but didn't make a difference either.

I also create another wall by scaling a cube as shown in the third attachment (the wooden wall). As you see when I turned on the area light (behind the wooden wall) its light leaks well behind the wall. The area light's rectangle faces towards the direction marked by the red arrow.

By the way, the Unity version is 2019.3.0f6

Attached Files: