Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Area light baking broken, continuous baking slow

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by AustinRichards, Dec 11, 2014.

1. AustinRichards

AustinRichards

I'm using Unity 5 B16.

I have an area light in the scene, and a bridge. The lightmapping will get stuck everytime when there's an area light in the scene.

Also, continuous baking is very very laggy when using large terrains. I have a terrain that's 3000x3000, 2048 resolution. Whenever I do a change that affects the terrain visually, like an emissive sphere above the terrain, it has to rebake the entire terrain (isn't it supposed to be pieced into chunks?) and takes a couple minutes. During that time the editor is too slow to do anything with. I also have a very fast computer. Yes, I can turn continuous baking off... but the feature would be really excellent if I could use it with less issues.

2. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Hi! Please file a bug report with the area light + bridge scene. Thanks!

Even when moving one object, we currently have to recalculate for the entire terrain. For 5.X we will experiment with a voxel based approach, which should make it possible for us only update the parts of the scene that actually changed.