Search Unity

Area Light appears in Planar Reflection Probe reflections

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Aaron-Meyers, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

I have an Area Light in my scene and I'm noticing that if I have it set to Realtime or Mixed, it appears in my Planar Reflection Probe's reflection as a big white rectangle. I do not have "Display Emissive Mesh" turned on so it doesn't actually render in the scene, but for some reason it is showing up in my reflections, which is very undesirable!

If I switch it to Baked, it disappears from the reflections, but I'd prefer to use Mixed because I'd like to be able to use the dimmer for this scene. Is this a bug? Is there a way to keep it out of my reflections?

Thanks.

straylight likes this.
  2. straylight

straylight

Any answers to this issue? I'm suffering the exact same problem. Seems to be a bit daft that if you can switch off the mesh render of an area light that it is not also switched off for reflections.

3. spiegelball

spiegelball

What you see in the reflection probe is the specular component of the light. You could either

a) disable it ("Affect Specular" under "Light" -> "Emission")
    or
    b) duplicate the light (giving you light 1 and 2) and disable "Affect Specular" in light 2. Put both lights on different light layers and disable the light layer with light 1 all objects sampling from the reflection probe. Disable the light layer of light 2 for all other objects. This way you got one light with specular component lightning your scene and another light without lightning e.g. the floor (avoiding specular reflections).

4. straylight

straylight

Thank You! Makes total sense. I'm not thinking straight...