Search Unity

Are you satisfied with Unity License?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XxSaiFxX, Mar 21, 2014.

?

Are you Satisfied with Unity License?

1. Yes, I'm paying for Unity.

42 vote(s)
    25.9%
  2. No, Unity is too Expensive compare to UE4 and CE

120 vote(s)
    74.1%
  1. XxSaiFxX

XxSaiFxX

@Alf203

I'm NOT spammer neither troller, just finish the fight ah.

2. XxSaiFxX

XxSaiFxX

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  3. XxSaiFxX

XxSaiFxX

i didn't reply this to "YOU", it's to the person who was saying keep on saying Unity Free the way to go.
    finish the fight

4. XxSaiFxX

XxSaiFxX

100% Agree,

Stick with the game engine you like(since this thread is for "Are you satisfied with Unity License?", there're other threads out there for Game Engine war i agree with you ;))

5. Fraust

Fraust

Something else to consider... isn't Unity kind of becoming the standard console manufacturer given tool? If you get them to approve you as a dev, don't they throw in a Unity Pro license free?

I get it, Unity Pro costs a bit for some people. But, you need to honestly evaluate the tools on their merits. CRYENGINE isn't any good at $9 a month if it can't handle the platform you want, lacks features/support, etc. Does CRYENGINE work good for small teams/single devs? I have no idea.

What I do know is that companies with plenty of cash buy Unity. EA bought a multiyear worldwide enterprise license a few years back. And they have the Frostbite engine! They can get Unreal if they want... or anything else. They could build another engine...

Price isn't the problem for EA (and for any serious business person)... they look at if the tool fits their needs. Why else use Unity over Frostbite? Frostbite is very pretty imho but probably didn't do the platform they wanted.

6. XxSaiFxX

XxSaiFxX

Agree

PS: personally, i like CRYENGINE and want to use CRYENGINE but it ain't good for retard person like me :rolleyes:
    PS2: Mirror Edge by DICE is made in Unreal Engine 3 ;)

7. kaiyum

kaiyum

I know, while we set-get logic-counterlogic, we should not exaggerate the facts. Unity free can be used to a great extend really! But exploiting that, would require immense indepth engine knowledge, nearly impossible to a new user. For example, asset bundle can be simulated in free to an extend through serializing-www stuffs.Now say that to a new user who do not understand "struct" ;). Yes it involves time too. But again in the end, it CAN be achievable.

Sorry if my previous post offended you. While I like unity for various reasons, that sentence hurt me, so said.
    Thank you.

8. Kaji-Atsushi

Kaji-Atsushi

I don't know what that link proves.......at all, help me out here. Maybe you pasted the wrong one?

Assuming you pasted the correct one.

I guess it would be safe to assume that you have a team, Because what you're showing me is that some team chose CRYengine for some game that I'm gonna also have to assume is the type and quality of game you want to create.
    If that's the case then CryENGINE may be a better choice for you.

But like I've been trying to say, If you're racing, don't drive a manual if you don't know how, or have no clue how difficult it may be, even if it's cheaper. Drive an automatic if you know how and it's a bit more expensive.

I was under the assumption this whole time that you were an indie working alone.

What fight? You've made no points against me to have a fight. My previous posts mostly questions your basis in your choice for Cryengine.

http://www.crytek.com/cryengine

9. XxSaiFxX

XxSaiFxX

sorry quoted wrong person :D
    okay brother, let's me start the topic :)
    CRYENGINE is only good when you've big team or people with (idk):| .
    http://cryengine.com/features
    Unity is good for small teams and Unity aims to make game engine easy to handle(easy to use).
    http://unity3d.com/unity

10. Shazia786

Shazia786

i hope Unity 5 will change their license = no need to buy Android iOS WebGL
    only buy Unity 5

11. Shazia786

Shazia786

Nice comparison CRYENGINE have CryBlend for Blender export

12. saymoo

saymoo

correct :)

No that's not what zombiegorilla was saying....

anyway: you can attach third party software to it if you want, even opensource type licensed software. However, because of the limitation of certain opensource licenses, you are only allowed to use: Code or content under the following licenses, for example, are allowed: BSD License, MIT License, Microsoft Public License, or Apache License.
    LGPL is allowed ONLY if you are merely dynamically linking a shared library.

13. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

That Chariots guy wrote a good post above. I think CryEngine also has an early FBX Importer. Last time I looked though it only imported static meshes. Perhaps support for skeletal importing will be added. But it is not full source like UE4 as far as I know. I'd probably personally prefer UE4 over CryEngine though for a few different reasons