Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you satisfied with Unity License?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XxSaiFxX, Mar 21, 2014.

?

Are you Satisfied with Unity License?

1. Yes, I'm paying for Unity.

42 vote(s)
    25.9%
  2. No, Unity is too Expensive compare to UE4 and CE

120 vote(s)
    74.1%
  1. XxSaiFxX

XxSaiFxX

Yes = I'm paying for Unity 5, Android, iOS, WebGL....

No = I'm not paying for Unity, Android, iOS... Unity need to get cheaper and only pay for Unity 5 not other things.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  2. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I don't like to pay for Pro addons every year or so.
    Still is the best engine I've ever used IMHO.

3. XxSaiFxX

XxSaiFxX

Unity is great, awesome and i wanna use it forever but...
    Unity need to change their license a bit, i don't want to pay for Android, iOS, WebGL and such things it should be free.

I don't want Unity to become Apple :(

4. neveup

neveup

Unity is great but I would like to see a price something like a package that includes Pro +all add-ons for something $75 - $100 a month subscription or $1500 one of payment for that version, with no royalties

5. Shazia786

Shazia786

i like unity but it need to be more cheaper
    75 a month is alot when compare to ue4 and ce
    i dont feel like working with unity uh
    paying for android ios and webgl not worth it

it need to be $7 a month

6. XxSaiFxX

XxSaiFxX

agree

CRYENGINE license USD$9 a month
    13 year = USD$1500

7. nipoco

nipoco

While I agree that $75 is too much just for the pro license, $7 is an outright insult for the people who work on Unity.

8. XxSaiFxX

XxSaiFxX

so is USD$9 insult for people who work at Crytek

i know you're right but who want to work with Unity 5 if it's gonna be $75 a month

everyone know CRYENGINE and Unreal Engine 4 are way too powerful than Unity 5 and CHEAPER than Unity 5
    Why Unity wanna be Apple :(

9. bitcrusher

bitcrusher

grass seems greener in Unreal engine 4 world. seems like the important things in UE4 are made core whilst the important things in unity3d are only available through assets store. Don't want to pay for playmaker, shaderforge, or usable networking, UE already has those tools in another form in it already integrated that are robust. How is it that unity has 150 engineers and are unable to create tools we asked 2 years ago, whilst people like ArenMook, and acekigomo are making such badass plugins by themselves. Now they want us to pay for webgl after they axed flash plugin...

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The maths show the absolute minimum to be $25 a month. $7 is a disgrace. $40 seems like a functional step. $75 is too much and frankly, I would never pay for it, since going by 2-yearly cycles, it's 300 more for a first time user.

11. XxSaiFxX

XxSaiFxX

yeah but USD$25 a month looks like "POWERFUL" game engine isn't it?
    There're lots of project and people that have moved to CRYENGINE and Unreal Engine 4

12. nipoco

nipoco

What Crytek did was just a knee jerk reaction to UE4's announcement. No indie developer use it at the moment for serious game development. And Crytek didn't give a crap about indies in the past. Just look in their forums.
    You have to understand that Cryengine is mostly used by Crytek itself, for their games. Even for triple A games it is not widely used by other gamestudios.

They just try to get a piece of that juicy indie market now. And of course they can afford such low prices, simply because their main income comes from their games, not from the engine. Unity Tech doesn't have that. I doubt UT can afford such low prices without serious troubles.

13. XxSaiFxX

XxSaiFxX

Games made in CRYENGINE: http://cryengine.com/news/the-best-of-the-cryengine-free-sdk-at-gdc-2014
    Games made in CRYENGINE: http://cryengine.com/news/cryengine-showcase-trailer-debuted-at-gdc-2014
    some of them are indie developers

look at the power of CRYENGINE: http://cryengine.com/features

Indie Games: http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=353&t=105258
    Indie Games: http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=353&t=121348
    Indie Games: http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=353&t=105093
    Indie Games: http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=353&t=106290

14. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

The answer is in the gigantic amount of platforms Unity decided to add. They can't make any of them perfect since they can't focus on a single platform.

15. nipoco

nipoco

Yes and here is the kicker. Eventually Crytek decides which games can be published, and which not. While there are some games, 90% of all games get rejected.
    I know Cryengine's features, but it's a mess compared to UE4 and Unity.

Go and try it!

16. XxSaiFxX

XxSaiFxX

If Unity 5 comes out with USD$75 a month for sure i'm gonna use CRYENGINE.

which 90% of games are rejected show me

PS: if you don't have proof please don't spam
    PS2: http://www.crydev.net/viewforum.php?f=353 games in CRYENGINE

17. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

The announcements were made yesterday. Anybody who's genuinely jumped a non-trivial project from one engine to another in under 48 hours based on initial licensing costs is crazy, and isn't planning or managing their project effectively.

18. XxSaiFxX

XxSaiFxX

I don't know but i saw lots of people in CryDev.net and https://forums.unrealengine.com/forum.php are from Unity

19. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Dude, if you want so; go on. Use CryEngine. After months/years of work try to publish whatever you've done with it and come here and tell us how it feel when CryTek tell you "-We don't like your game, you can't publish it."...
    Good luck :)

20. XxSaiFxX

XxSaiFxX

man come one [it was like that before but now it has changed]
    you need to pay 9$USD a month and you can sell the game at anytime you want
    just like Unity

21. nipoco

nipoco

Where do you get the notion that all has changed?
    The whole offer from Crytek is still sketchy and I have yet to see all details about that.

Seriously. I understand if people are excited about UE4. I'm too. But Cryengine? No..Not for me They still have to prove that they are seriously interested in indies. Just a list with some games isn't enough.

22. XxSaiFxX

XxSaiFxX

then what's enough

23. kaiyum

kaiyum

I spend $19 for internet bill every month. So UE or cry, no one is a problem for me. I am very familiar with unity API .And I know what "unity free can do and upto what extend". So using unity is not a problem for me either.

For "learning curve" reason I will stick to unity for now. But the question is, "not with my satisfaction but with unity's survival".

Look at them: [I will comment about UE4 because I have some confusions about cry.]
    Basically UE4 cost anyone just 19 dollar whether unity pro cost 1500 dollar now. Unity does not have 78 times more features than UE4, probably less feature rather. So from business point of view, how will they stand?

I tried in several ways, could not find a feasible/good way for unity. I know it would be an insult, but from business perspective, it is unavoidable.

If UE4 is 19 with "broken android support and less documentation and tutorial than unity", then for unity:
    1.100 for perpetual(all platforms, future all upgrades for 1.5 years) pro license. Existing free license remains.
    2. 7 for PC mac standalone subscription, 17 for all platfrom subscription. All upgrade is free forever with subscription.
    3. Cancel subscription anytime, you subscribe for two reasons:
    a. Engine update.(subscription case only)
    b. You must publish with latest license at the time of publishing(subscription case only)

Still a problem remain, dealing with source.
    It looks like gold-diamond is everywhere on a planet, thus nobody buys it:mad::mad:.

24. bitcrusher

bitcrusher

UE4 android support isn't broken, it isn't fully developed but you can deploy the flappy bird example clone to your android phone just fine. Also Unity can't release the source code without having a EULA with commissions, because everyone would just share the source code and build their own version of unity3d, and unity3d would be out of $$.

I think Unity is going to lose a lot of free users and paid users soon. There is very little reason to stay with Unity3d if you are making mobile games or PC/OSX/WIn games and are not tied down to unityscript/c#.

25. XxSaiFxX

XxSaiFxX

Unreal Engine 4 and CRYENGINE EaaS docs. are being made

26. hamstar

hamstar

It's too much for me. I could afford $75, but not $225 to include iPhone and Android. Why are Windows Phone and Blackberry included in Unity Pro but not the others?

I think they need another pricing plan for individuals and small teams. $225+ is easily affordable for an established company, but for people starting out there needs to be another option. A reduced subscription + royalties, like Unreal Engine, would suit new developers.

27. XxSaiFxX

XxSaiFxX

Agree with hamstar,

New developer can't afford expensive softwares, they need an option for new developers.

New Developers License: 7$USD a month + 5% royalty or 120$USD forever + 5% royalty
    If you have earned more than USD$50,000, you need to purchase Pro license.

How awesome, isn't it?

28. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

I demand satisfaction!

29. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Ooooh - that reminds me. One of my favorite quotes these days is: "The grass is greener on the other side because the other side is fertilized with bullshit" :D

30. XxSaiFxX

XxSaiFxX

:eek:

31. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

But Unity has an option for new developers. It's had an awesome one since the start, that got much better around two years ago.

How is that better than the 100% free, no royalties license that Unity currently offers?

If your game isn't going to make enough money for you to warrant a Pro license then render-to-texture won't change that. And if it will make enough money to warrant the license then it's a non-issue.

32. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Unfortunately, due to most people's inability to move freely through the timestream, they don't actually know how much money their game will make until they make it. So large upfront costs can be daunting. For those of us who can see the future, of course, it's not a problem.

33. im

im

interesting...

indie of $100K gross would be better with slightly higher monthly + 5% or forever price + 5%

34. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

So? The point is that you don't need to spend anything to get going with Unity. There is no daunting, up front cost. There's also no income-sucking royalties later on.

The other point was that the stuff in Pro isn't going to make or break your first game, in the context that if you've got the budget to make good use of those things then you've probably got the budget to buy or rent the engine. (Which brings the question back to which is the best tool for the job. Which, aside from niche cases, probably comes down to the one you've got the most talent available for.)

35. Kaji-Atsushi

Kaji-Atsushi

Am I satisfied with the Unity License?
    Yes, the one that I currently care to have is free.

People seem to forget to factor in that Unity is truly the best choice for new indies(People who don't want to pay a penny to get into something they don't know they'll succeed at, or people who are just cheap, or utterly poor...).

Pro users probably don't care about Free/Noob users, but it is something to consider when talking about re-adjusting Unity's price scheme. Unity wants to be available to everyone, so they won't give up on the Unity free without a fight(I'd like to think that...). So I think if anyone wants to bother to suggest to Unity a pricing scheme, then do try to think of all aspects of Unity's offers and mission statement. I'd guess that almost every pro user was once a free user(once it was available).

36. hamstar

hamstar

It's not make or break, but things would be easier with pro features. I would like to use asset bundles, the profiler, static batching and my own splash screen, but I can't. I would be willing to pay for these features, but can't afford the price asked.

I'm grateful for how much Unity gives for free, just saying that if there was an alternative option for pro (smaller subscription + royalties), I would go for it.

37. griden

griden

Answering the OP question:
    No, I don't think I'm going with Unity Pro after I finish my current project with Unity Free. I've invested 4-5 months in learning Unity (coming from other dev environment) but I just don't see it as a good offer now. Two main reasons:

1) The interval between major releases seems too short to justify the investment of $5000+.
    2) The newly-appeared alternative.
    3) Some of Mono's (lack of) features. The way the Garbage Collector behaves for example. The underlying tech feels a bit dated for a modern game engine that costs this amount up-front.

I'm grateful to Unity Technologies for providing the Free version, but I wouldn't want to use it for commercial projects past the current one I'm working on for learning purposes. Even if it's only for the Unity splash screen (branding is important).

Overall, I like the product and hope they'll offer more attractive pricing in the very near future. Unity is way more suited to my short(and probably long)-term needs, but at the same time I don't really mind diving into uncharted territories if it makes more sense long-term. Basically it depends on Unity's response to the new market situation. I am willing to pay a reasonable/competitive amount of money for Pro.

38. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Well you get what you paid for..
    Going to the cheapest is rarely a smart move for any buisness..

39. Drommedhar

Drommedhar

I think UT has to react to the new market situation. Keeping the current price could rather quickly let people jump over to the cheaper and (maybe) better alternatives like UE4 and CryEngine (well CE is no option for me ;D ).
    If they come up with a great subscription model like UE4 does, I think this would benefit everyone. Not only the community but also UT themself. Also they should consider including Android and iOS Pro packages, but that's a different story.

Maybe give us an option. If we only want to create mobile games, why do we need a PC etc licence. Let's just get an Android/iOS license for the same price. This would not be needed if they would combine everything to one big licence, but just as an idea.

I love Unity no matter what, but the price is to high (and was even before UE4 imho).

40. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

Sure, but don't forget that "cheap" has two different meanings. It's either related to quality or price. And frankly, in this case it's the latter. As it stands now Unity is just overpriced, because the price difference is just way to big. 25-30$ would be perfectly adequate considering the superior workflow.
    The current price however...

41. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Overpriced? compared to what?
    Unity is free, free to create and ship and you never have to pay a dime to Unity.
    Even the Pro is a great price, especially when you consider it a complete,market tested product that many games have shipped on, a solid community, and tons of resources.
    UE4 has been out for a few days, it is doesn't have as many build targets and largely unusable on the Mac. It may be solid in the future, but right now it is unproven for the market it now entering. And unless you are just a hobbyist playing around it is massively more expensive with them taking a revenue cut. People seem to be missing that part. It is only cheaper if you make less than 90k from the games you create with it.
    Cry isn't available yet, and the details will be announced in the future.

Only time will tell, both of those engines still have to prove themselves in this market and actually finish their products and deliver on the hype. Meanwhile people are building and shipping games everyday with Unity.

42. zenGarden

zenGarden

In UE4 you are not allowed to publish and sell a game without continuous paying subscription and royalties.

And i totally agree in the prooven side of Unity indeed.

43. SVGK

SVGK

i think that Unity Pro should be cheaper, if only for the sake of closing the gap a bit to make it seem more attractive to newcomers, at the most $999 so it seems to be a lot cheaper when it isn't (when you say $999 out loud, somehow it feels a lot less expensive than "One Thousand"), the subscription should be around $40, i'm no expert on pricing, but that feels about right.

44. Ostwind

Ostwind

Sponsored by Microsoft and RIM to boost up platform app count.

45. MasterSubby

MasterSubby

I haven't really voiced my opinion on any of this.... but for someone like me, who can't have a normal job due to illness and other factors, makes the 20$ a month deal (regardless of 5%, I don't care) amazing. I REALLY REALLY do not want to step away from Unity whatsoever, but the price point is so tough when you have huge medical bills. Yes I do freelancing, but if I spend the amount of time I must to make the money to afford all the license, I will never be able to accomplish what I have wanted to, at least for awhile.

I am totally cool with 1,500 for all the different platforms. That isn't the issue, but when your not making much... up front is very difficult. When I am to what I believe a talented artists and a good coder (certainly not a genius like some on here who make plugins and all, but I can figure anything out in time), Unity Free is just not going to cut it. Proper lighting and shading is necessary for the direction I am going in.

I'm not worried about it not being open source (but would be nice as always), I'd just love to see a better option with money. Keep the 1,500 price point, but let's add in something else. Perhaps not a subscription, but payment plans. Maybe over the course of a year or two, monthly you are charged until it is paid in full. If it's not fully paid off and you can't pay on, you aren't given the PRO features, but always able to come back in and keep paying. Then you own your license in full, on completion. What would be really nifty, is to just have minimum payments, and be able to pay more if you want.

This would make it extremely easy to come up with the money to do what I want, and perhaps that day comes where I can come out with the game I have really wanted to make and never have to worry about affording it again, because I don't lack the features as an artist, that I really want and perhaps might need.

What is probably going to be PRO only features for 5.x, are too damn good to pass up. PowerVR, Enlighten, the new Audio Engine (hell yes!), is great stuff. I want to stick around for the foreseeable future, but I just can't afford a huge sum of money at once, as I am ready to step it up a notch. I'm sure I am not the only one in this boat.

I haven't touched UE4 yet, so I really have no idea if it's for me, but from what I have seen so far, the price to quality is unbeatable right now.

46. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I'm wondering how many of these threads are just astroturfing, at this point?

47. zenGarden

zenGarden

I never could affor Unity Pro also, too hight cost , specially if you don't make money. For example i have other engines alternatives or Unity free.
    Only some 500$ per platform could perhaps decide me to buy some Pro version. I'm sure this will never happen to i steer with Unity free, and some other lot more cheaper 3D engines.
    Let's see if Shiva 2.0 will come out and will be a good deal also ?

48. saymoo

saymoo

False, you need to pay 5% royalty over the quartely gross revenue (Based on the title made with UE4). (no requirement for subscription)
    They monitor it because a licensee is required to notify Epic games when the licensee is releasing a product on forehand.
    Read the license and EULA, it's all in there. (and if they have reason to investigate your reported revenue, because they believe it's incorrect of something else is fishy, they can (by law) do an onsite financial audit (wherever you are in the world).

49. zenGarden

zenGarden

How do you pay your royalties ?
    I mean you sold a game good during a month, you pay them at the end of month or year ?
    How do you pay them ?
    If your game still is selled five years later and you forgot about it to pay Epic ?
    Or if you misunderstood and forgotten or calculated not well the amount ?

Well, royalties is something that is just the point that make me not using UDK.

50. TheDMan

TheDMan

In a way I agree. But if its comparing feature sets vs subscription pricing, then UT4 needs to be $7 - $15/month, because its missing a multitude of features that UE4 has. Now if UT5's feature set matches UE4, then they can easily ask $25 - $35/month and have a lot of people on board. But they'd have to get rid of the 12 month min requirement and switch to something else.

Now the problem becomes if UE4 starts adding features at a staggering rate and completely surpasses UT5, then they wont have a choice but to drop to single digit monthly subscriptions.