Search Unity

Are you planning to allow asset bundles to hold scenes and other assets

Discussion in 'Asset Bundles' started by liortal, Sep 24, 2017.

1. liortal

liortal

Before working with asset bundles, i naively assumed these are just a proprietary container format for holding assets and interacting with it at runtime.

Once i started working with them, i realized there are certain limitations, like the fact that an asset bundle with scenes cannot contain other assets (e.g: prefabs).

I wonder what is the root cause for this limitation and whether it is planned to lift this limitation in the future?

2. Ryanc_unity

Ryanc_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @liortal
    The root cause for that specific limitation is due to how scenes get loaded vs how assets (such as prefabs) get loaded. We have been working on pealing back some of these limitations by moving more and more low level "magic" into public C# code so users can do more with the tools we provide. I talked with several groups at Unite Europe '17 that also want to add raw content to the asset bundle container and retrieve it at runtime. So we know it's a desired feature, and it's on our list to prototype & figure out what all we would need to do to support such a feature.

Disclaimer: This is not a confirmation that it is coming or when it will be released, just that we know people want it, it makes sense to add if we can, and that we need to do some digging first.

Flavelius and liortal like this.
  3. liortal

liortal