Search Unity

Are you even trying?

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by Baste, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Baste

Baste

upload_2020-10-29_9-33-55.png

Aka. company worth 100s of millions can't afford to pay anyone to check their forums for spam.

2. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

https://forum.unity.com/threads/about-forum-spammers.981702/

I still think first post filtering would be the way to deal with this.

Or at very least, block first posts on places like beta subforums :) (we see a ton of spam there as well)

I'm also pretty sure all forum sections get a ton of spam but apparently these get cleaned up after users report them and I can imagine users browsing documentation section of the forums isn't very popular..

I personally stopped reporting these as it's completely out of hand. Unity needs to deal with this some other way.

3. Vryken

Vryken

Largest I've seen was in the Editor & General Support forum a couple months ago.
    Over 10 pages of spam threads and counting by the minute until the bot was killed.

4. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager Unity Technologies

I can say that with some of the tools we've installed internally over the last few months, there has been an improvement - but i share the sentiment that it is far from perfect.

I will clear spam when I see it as I trawl through the forums (which in the grand scheme of my role, is only a small part of what I do at Unity), but for the most part, our admins and mods cannot express how helpful reporting is so we can get to them and ban the accounts quickly.

I can totally understand 0lento's reasoning around not bothering if spam report whack-a-mole is getting too much, if they aren't seeing any improvements.

I would just stress that it's something we've not forgotten about and remains something we want to curb once and for all.

OmegaNemesis28 and JamesArndt like this.
  5. Baste

Baste

If you could have an admin at least check in on the Documentation subforum once a day, that'd be grand, as there's always (literally) new spam posts there whenever I log in. Seems like it's not used very much, so nobody tries to check it?

Still, the very obvious solution is to require new threads by new accounts to be verified by a moderator before it's shown to the public. Has that not happened because:
    - your software doesn't handle it?
    - the workload would be too great?
    - you think it's a bad idea?

I have suggested it multiple times, some other people have as well, but I haven't ever gotten a reply that I can remember on why you're not doing it. It seems to me that it'd be very effective, without having to do anything very fancy.

unityunity