Search Unity

Are you a competent unity dev? Do you wanna earn some extra $$$ (Not a spam post)

Discussion in 'Unity Connect' started by stericts, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stericts

stericts

Hey guys,

Im new to the unity scene, been a gamer my whole life but started a project recently, i've hired a developer and artist to create a game for me, its still early days but its going great.

The thing is I have another game idea that wont get out of my head, ive been doing unity tutorials and trying to learn myself, but this idea is impatient, i need to get it going, so im looking for a partner, somone to develop the game with my idea's, I can and will buy any assets/software/servers we need, I can also pay the developer some pre-agreed bonuses, bu the best bit, we will go 50/50 on the game business, I think it will be a hit, but obviously I would think that, but after i tell you about it, im pretty sure you will too so if youre interested contact me, do something different! take a risk! it may pay off.

Cheers.

2. Mauri

Mauri

3. stericts

stericts

Okay thanks! I did spend a good few minutes looking at the different forums wondering where to post this. Cheers

4. Mauri

Mauri

5. Amon

Amon

Lol. Errrrr, no!

6. stericts

stericts

Just curious why you say that? is it not a good deal? I pay for everything and the dev and we go 50/50 on the business side? profits etc, I genuinely thought it was fair so please enlighten me if not,

7. koirat

koirat

So you will pay developer and you will also split 50/50 ?
    Also you will take care of everything else ?

8. Meltdown

Meltdown

You said in your original post you will pay some pre-agreed bonuses. This screams of revenue share.

9. stericts

stericts

Not sure what you mean by revenue share, but basically as I said, I am actually paying now for a game to be developed, they are just contractee's and have no rights to the game, but am looking for somone that wants to develop a game with me, partner up, and have a 50% stake in it, but im also willing to pay them some money while we do it.

10. stericts

stericts

Maybe I worded it wrong, but basically meant if the person hasnt got a job id be willing to pay him like a couple hundred a week while we develop it, but the main payback is from when we earn on the game.

11. stericts

stericts

yes

12. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

This is a big part of the reason that we don’t do this on the.forums anymore.

A) everyone has tons of great ideas all the time. That is the easiest part. Developing them into marketable games is the difficult part. There aren’t skilled game developers just sitting around waiting for someone to help with the idea part. Most of the time we get in to developing games because we have ideas we want to build. The "ideas" person is unnecessary. You simply won't get anyone who is actually capable of executing your idea to work for free.

B) software is mostly free. Offering to ‘pay’ for what is free or very cheap is kinda of offensive considering the dev time for a competent dev could easily be in the many thousands of dollars. (much more depending on type of game).

C) it is nearly impossible that a small indie game developed like this will ever make a dime. It just never happens. When it does is usually a passionate developer who executed on their own vision, not an rev-split idea from a forum.

D) since everyone can build games today, everyone is building games. Your competition is in the millions. To succeed (enough to justify convincing some to build your game over their own), you will have to spend a ton of money on UA. A ton. That is how games make money today. If you don't have deep pockets, you aren't going to succeed. Are you really going to pay thousands a month on UA, and then split the profits? (assuming there are profits). Do you believe you can convince someone to do the work of actually building the game and also help with costs of UA. (hint: they won't)

Bottom line, we don't allow this because this forum is dedicated to people who want to make games. Not try to get rich quick, or try to get people who do know how to make games to do their work for them. Every creative faces this their life, the "I got an idea, you do the work, we'll split the profits!" It is always terrible.

Learn how the industry actually works. Then you have two options: either learn how to build games yourself, or hire developers to build your game (at actual rates, legal in your area, tossing them a couple of hundred a week is offensive and possibly illegal). Look up developer salaries in your area (not designers) and offer that.

But not here. Use unity connect or a hiring site like Freelancer, Indeed or LinkedIn or whatever.

I am closing this thread. Since others have responded, I am not deleting it, and leaving some of the rational as to why we don't allow that to happen here. (other mods/admins may wish to add to this).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.