Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Are we going to get naming convention changes?

Discussion in 'Experimental Scripting Previews' started by Sinono3, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Sinono3

Sinono3

This is something that always bugged me while using Unity in general, is this ever going to come with the new Net 4 support?

2. dadude123

dadude123

net4 and even beyond(!) is already in the works.
    They just recently dropped the "experimental" name tag on the .net 4.5 scripting backend.
    Check the scripting forums, they're making huge strides behind the scenes.
    Even the new things like ref return support are on the horizon and from what I've heard coming "soon".

As for naming conventions and code style...
    I totally agree with you that this should be a thing, but it seems like the people at Unity couldn't care any less :D It feels like nobody at this company is even aware of the horrible lowercase naming stuff.
    It's disgusting lol, lower case prop names?? Jesus christ... they're everywhere. And sometimes you encounter properly cased identifiers as well.

Well, it's a little irritating for sure but not too dramatic for me personally. You get used to it as time goes on.

3. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Actually we already changed the conventions...

The new ECS stuff is being built with a different convention to the 'legacy' GameObject-and-component APIs. We're not going to migrate all the old APIs - it would break every single Unity tutorial on the internet, amongst other things - but by adopting the new convention for the new tech, the old convention will gradually die off as more and more people transition to pure ECS.

4. _Slim

_Slim

yeah, camel case properties are disgusting, good to know that unity changed the conventions!

5. starikcetin

starikcetin

I hope you guys can fix the off-convention naming used in the new Mathematics package as well.

6. superpig

superpig

No, that's by design. As noted in the readme:

rakkarage likes this.
  7. starikcetin

starikcetin

Well, that's unfortunate actually. It seems like the community consensus is against this design decision: https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-mathematics-available-on-github.526100/

Don't get me wrong, I love what you guys are doing right now. I really do. But naming consistency is more important for some of us than the others. I personally am a visual person and inconsistencies in naming lower my productivity beyond imagination. I am pretty sure there are more people like me that are using Unity on a daily basis.

So, I would love you to reconsider that design decision with the light of overall community feedback.

8. superpig

superpig

I think the team who own the Mathematics lib have seen the feedback in that thread - nothing more to say about it here.

9. starikcetin

starikcetin

For the next step, I will rent a hot air balloon across Unity HQ with "Fix The Naming Pls" on its broadside.

Jokes aside, thanks for noting the feedback. I appreciate and love the way you are interacting with the community nowadays.

AndrewKaninchen and superpig like this.
  10. tarahugger

tarahugger

Its something that has always bothered me greatly with Unity. Aside from maybe the debate on using 'this.' vs underscores on fields, the .Net coding standards have been clear and mature for a good 10-15 years.