Search Unity

Are we doing this right?

Discussion in 'Unity Accelerator' started by ChaosResolution, Feb 11, 2020.

1. ChaosResolution

ChaosResolution

We've set up Accelerator but haven't noticed any increases to the speed of Collab, presumably because we haven't got it set up correctly!

We have 3 machines. Accelerator is installed on one of these (on a separate SSD). During installation it gave the following IP address and port number, which we entered into the editor on the host machine successfully.

This doesn't match the IP address and port stated at the top of the Accelerator Details page though. Is this expected? And for the editors on the other two machines, which IP address and port should we be using?

Beyond that, is there any other setup required?

Any advice is appreciated!

2. bradunity

bradunity

The IP and port referenced in the final dialog are only required to speed up the new Asset Import pipeline. The Editor uses HTTPS for increasing Collaborate performance, thus the discrepancy between the ports. So it sounds like you've set everything up correctly. Here are some additional things to check...

If you've set the IP and port values in the Cache Server fields in the Editor, and if you're using a project that is set up for Asset Database V2, you should see logs matching these:

Using Asset Import Pipeline V2.
    RemoteAssetCache::AddArtifactToCacheServer

And the logs should also indicate the selection of the Accelerator for Collaborate that should match these:

[collab-accelerator] Set collab endpoint to

This should either indicate that it has found your accelerator (should have its name displayed at the end of the line in parentheses) or the main service as https://collab.cloud.unity3d.com.

There are other troubleshooting ideas here: https://docs.unity3d.com/2019.3/Documentation/Manual/UnityAccelerator.html#Troubleshooting

3. ChaosResolution

ChaosResolution

I guess it's running correctly then - I was just hoping for a more noticeable change! For example, Accelerator says that the download took only a few seconds (and apparently saved me 5 minutes), but it's hard to tell when my computer is frozen for 5 - 10 minutes after downloading while it imports. The download could be something as small as a script edit, but Unity still locks up for a very long time.

upload_2020-2-12_15-31-37.png

4. bradunity

bradunity

Yep, that does appear to indicate you're at least transferring the Collab source assets via the Accelerator. If the import time is taking so long, have you also verified that it's retrieving the cached versions from the Accelerator, as well, instead of importing them? You should see logs that look like this, with either a "true" or "false" depending on whether the associated asset was found in the Accelerator...

RemoteAssetCache - Download - Metadata - success:

5. ChaosResolution

ChaosResolution

Yes, the logs appear as you've stated above. But it's usually still worth going to make a cup of tea when I click the download button o_O

If it is actually saving time as the Details page says then that's good I guess!

6. bradunity

bradunity

Huh. That sounds like a terrible experience. Not sure what might be happening after the download and import are complete... Certainly shouldn't be taking several minutes like that. Might be worth opening a support ticket if you'd like to see about determining the root cause. It doesn't immediately sound related to Collab or the Accelerator, but I could be wrong.