Search Unity

Question Are URP Decals compatible with SRP batcher?

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by grllle, Jan 12, 2023.

1. grllle

grllle

Can anybody confirm if the URP decal shader can be SRP batched within the dBuffer?
    From what it looks, the shader should be compatible, but in my tests (2022.1.17) all decals are rendered under "Decal GBuffer Render" without any batching.

2. Jonas-Mortensen

Jonas-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

Hey!
    The way the DBuffer is rendered unfortunately doesn't work with the SRP Batcher. I would advise to use GPU Instancing as much as possible.

We are looking into hooking the decals up with the Forward+ data structure for clustered decal rendering as a performance optimization but that work is not planned yet.

grllle and DevDunk like this.
  3. grllle

grllle

D
    Thanks so much for the explanation!
    Does this affect screen space decals using the gbuffer as well?
    Forgot to mention that we are using this in deferred

4. BernhardTheThreak

BernhardTheThreak

@Jonas-Mortensen
    Apologies for the bump but do you have insides regarding this use case?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  5. Zarod

Zarod

oof ... this being said in jannuary of this year dosn't make me particularly happy

tho, on the bright side, at least from MY, testing, and the relatively faster rate of replacement that mobile phones have (compared to PC and consoles) is a non issue

I'm happy already with the state of urp and srp batcher right now ... so good luck on improving it in the near to distant future

6. Zarod

Zarod

As an advice, i would advise AGAINST using the DBuffer, expecially on mobile devices.

I found a nice sweet spot that uses a forced standardized 720p render texture and screen space decals with medium quality.

Forward rendering of course, as deferred is NOT the way to go imo ... forward+ clustered is very promising, but still ( in my opinion ) not even necessary

Jonas-Mortensen likes this.