Search Unity

Are Unity AssetBundles Supported on 5.5.0f3 HoloLens Build?

Discussion in 'VR' started by spinteractive, Dec 7, 2016.

1. spinteractive

spinteractive

We need to load content dynamically using AssetBundles.

I'm doing this..

Code (CSharp):
    2. using UnityEditor;
    4. public class CreateAssetBundles {
    6.     [MenuItem("Assets/Build AssetBundles")]
    7.     static void BuildAllAssetBundles()
    8.     {
    9.         BuildPipeline.BuildAssetBundles("Assets/AssetBundles", BuildAssetBundleOptions.None, BuildTarget.WSAPlayer);
    10.     }
    11. }
    and getting: Error building Player because scripts have compile errors in the editor

2. unity_andrewc

unity_andrewc

Unity Technologies

Is this script in your project's Assets\Editor folder? See https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SpecialFolders.html.

If you still get any errors, information on the errors you get would be useful. "Error building Player because scripts have compiler errors" is a generic error when building if you had other errors, that error alone doesn't really tell us anything.

3. spinteractive

spinteractive

I started over. Now I'm using the AssetBundleManager found here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/45836

It works fine on a new project with PC platform .

When I switch to Windows Store for HoloLens platform, I cannot build assets anymore and get the following error:

ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
    Parameter name: path2
    System.IO.Path.Combine (System.String path1, System.String path2) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/Path.cs:115)
    AssetBundles.BuildScript.BuildAssetBundles () (at Assets/AssetBundleManager/Editor/BuildScript.cs:19)
    AssetBundles.AssetBundlesMenuItems.BuildAssetBundles () (at Assets/AssetBundleManager/Editor/AssetbundlesMenuItems.cs:27)

I think the new Windows Store Platform build does not yet support the AssetBundleManager. Can you confirm?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Asset bundles work on Windows Store just fine. I don't know about that plugin, though. The error is pretty straightforward though: that script is passing null into System.IO.Path.Combine.

5. spinteractive

spinteractive

It's missing the build platform. So I added the WSAPlayer for Windows Store. When I attempted to build it created the path but I'm still getting errors. It's a very vague error now :
    Error building Player because scripts have compile errors in the editor.

It's definitely specific to Windows Store, if I switch to another platform it works fine.

What would you recommend using to get going quickly with AssetBundle Loading and Building in my HoloLens project?

6. spinteractive

spinteractive

I went real basic and now have BuildAllAssetBundles() working just fine in my HoloLens Unity 5.50f3 project!

Hodgson_SDAS likes this.
  7. gfagnani

gfagnani

HOW??????

8. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I also want to know how to get assetbundles working in build, it crashes anytime we include them...

9. NoahTheProgrammer

NoahTheProgrammer

I seem to be getting the same error as @spinteractive and would like to find a fix:

ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
    Parameter name: path2
    System.IO.Path.Combine (System.String path1, System.String path2) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/Path.cs:115)
    AssetBundles.BuildScript.BuildAssetBundles () (at Assets/AssetBundleManager/Editor/BuildScript.cs:19)
    AssetBundles.AssetBundlesMenuItems.BuildAssetBundles () (at Assets/AssetBundleManager/Editor/AssetbundlesMenuItems.cs:27)

10. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Looks like an exception in your code?