Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Are triggers/collision fixed in Beta 15 or later?

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Jaimi, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Jaimi

Jaimi

In Beta 14, colliders with "IsTrigger" set still behave as if they are solid. In addition, collision detection doesn't take into account the layer collision matrix you define in the PhysicsManager panel.

is this fixed in B15 or later betas?

2. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

What? I didn't encounter either of these problems. I'm using triggers and collision matrix excludes in my current Beta14 project and they seem to work as expected. Do you have a specific case or example?

3. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yeah, I put down a cube, add a box collider, mark it as "IsTrigger", and then walk the FPSController right into it, and it collides. It also collides with it if I put it on a layer that has no collisions defined in the collision matrix. I'm assuming it's some problem with the CharacterController. It also seems to get "stuck" on things a lot too. A real big step back, but it's a beta, so you get what you get.

What are you doing with your setup? Are you using a CharacterController? I'm just using the included "FpsController" prefab.

4. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I'm currently using varsious colliders and triggers with my project. I've been extending the "Nightmares" TopDown shooter Tutorial with a lot of new functionality and I'm using triggers and colliders on all different sorts of objects.

So far I've had my physics driven bullets collide and be "swallowed" by the collider of the player until I separated them in layers on the Physics matrix. I'm using box triggers to open doors and I'm using box colliders and mesh colliders for the environment. I'm using non-kinematic Rigidbodies for the most part. I get functioning Raycasts against the environment but not other enemies now that I know what a bitmask ist ...
    Actually I rather have the opposite impression. Fast traveling objects for me seem to clip through colliders much more easily. Maybe you've hit a very specific setup I haven't encountered yet.

Did you send a bug report with a reproduceable case?
    Could you maybe make a video of it?
    You said you've added a box collider ... did you accidently add a second box collider to a box?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  5. elbows

elbows

Triggers worked fine for me when I tried them with Beta 14 on Friday.

6. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yes, it is case 651571. I received a mail from Unity QA that they were able to duplicate it and sent it to development. No second collider, and it seems to happen with simple box colliders as well as convex mesh colliders. :( Maybe it's just a problem with the CharacterController. It should be easy for anyone to duplicate, I duplicated it just by adding a cube with a collider, and placing the fpscontroller from the sample assets in the scene.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I reported this bug in 12, I think it was fixed judging by the notes.

8. Jaimi

Jaimi

Looks like it was only partially fixed. It works correctly if the trigger is not intersecting another collider. However if it intersects a collider, it treats it as if it were also a physical collider.

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

OK please report it, as it's clearly not fixed then. The last mention was in B13 with:

10. Jaimi

Jaimi

I did, and QA mailed me yesterday, and they have managed to duplicate it and sent it on to be fixed. I was really looking to see if it were already fixed in later betas, and then B15 was released (and it wasn't fixed).