Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

are third party assets un needed?

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by jammer42777, Nov 27, 2017.

?

What assets provide the best visual results?

1. Unity post processing stack.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. 3rd party plugins

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. jammer42777

jammer42777

Hello,
    I want to make an amazing looking game for PC and consoles.
    I Love unit's workflow and community.
    On my most recent test I've noticed that camera effects can cause a night and day difference for visual quality.
    I am guessing (but haven't conclusively proven) that unreal's default post processing gives it an edge. (Like a girl wearing makeup)
    I am wondering, If I just want the visually stunning results (efficiency pretty much be damed)
    should I invent in 3rd party plugins? (Like the amplify plugins and Ultimate bloom and tonemapper delexe, as well as a third party ssr) or does unity's post processing stack blow all others away in the visual quality department?

Thank you!
    --Joshua

2. vetasoft

vetasoft

Both are great solutions.

Take in mind that yo can combine Unity Post Processing Stack and 3rd Party Post Processing effects plugins.

The Unity Post Processing Stack is great, as a game developer, we use it.
    But we also use 3rd party plugins.

Take a look at our plugin Camera Filter Pack for 300 post processing effects
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/18433

3. jammer42777

jammer42777

I just bought the pack about 10 minutes ago! :)

vetasoft likes this.
  4. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

As a developer of a Post-Pro stack I feel I should probably jump in here as well!

IMO, the Unity stack does the following effects really well:
    Color Grading, Tonemapping, FXAA, Motion Blur
    and the following quite poorly:
    Noise/dither, TAA, Eye Adaptation, Chromatic Aberration, Fog

For my own stack PRISM, I really enjoy using my own fast layered bloom with dirt & flares, PRISM's sharpen is as good as you'll get in any AAA game and has no Unity equivalent, it has excellent AO, particularly if you're using deferred, good noise/grain, very easy color vibrance and brightness effects, and a good dual-LUT effect.

In my game I use a combo of both, because I can't get awesome flares, or great sharpening, or anywhere near the general performance if I were to just use Unity's stack. For mobile, there's also no real competition, as in my benchmarks (and user reported benchmarks), PRISM is simply able to scale down lower than Unity's stack while still looking great on lower powered devices.

5. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi there,

Here's a collection of image effects and shaders you may want to check - a classic combo we often find on our customers are Beautify + Amplify Color + HBAO (they all work great in VR as well and comes with quite advanced set of options).

Cheers!