Search Unity

Are these lighting setting ridiculous?

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by SamohtVII, Jun 20, 2019.

1. SamohtVII

SamohtVII

Hey I am trying to bake my scene for mobile and was just wondering if these settings are good or not. By that I mean that they produce the result I want but because I have no understanding of what may be an excessive number or not I just want to make sure I'm not wasting resources.

Mainly lightmap resolution/padding, direct/indirect samples.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Judging from your lighting settings, it seems that you have both baked and realtime GI enabled. Using the two in tandem will definitely bloat the bake times and will consume more CPU resources in runtime. If your lighting will remain mostly static, go for baked GI. If you absolutely need dynamic lighting then choose realtime GI.

Both your lightmap resolution and padding values seem too high, and will increase both the bake times and lightmap occupancy. You can safely reduce the padding to single digit values. If you happen to experience lightmap bleeding regardless of the padding value you are using, then you should consider reworking your lightmap UVs.

For an outdoors scene, you can easily reduce the lightmap resolution much further, and instead use mixed lighting for realtime direct and baked indirect. This will save you the precious lightmap space and will increase the bake time considerably.

Here are some links I would recommend reading: