Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Are there (going to be) default projector materials in Unity5?

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by the_motionblur, Dec 4, 2014.

1. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I've been looking through the standard assets for projectors and found that I never really tried using them after the Lerpz Tutorial in 2.x and also - somewhat to my surprise - that they need dedicated materials to actually work. I could not find any materials that work with Unity 5 so far.

Am I missing something and will there also be a few projector materials in the future?
    Is the projector item really as neglected as it feels to me (judging by the documentation screenshots and lack of dedicated shaders)? :p

Extra question for people who use projectors: Do you use them for dynamic decals (for non flat surfaces) and do you mind sharing your thoughts about pros and cons about that workflow?

2. p87

p87

from what I remember, anything that a projector hits needs to be drawn twice. They can have a performance hit.

they're good for doing stuff like this :

3. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

I've used them to simulate actual projectors in an architectural model, and they work pretty well for that. As phil mentioned, they do have a performance cost, but it's not that bad.

Are the materials that were provided before not present or do they just not work?

Have you tried pulling in the old materials from 4.x to see if they work?

If not, that sounds like a pretty significant bug.

4. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

The new Sample Assets include Projectors which work fine. Either they weren't there before or I was temporarily blind.

Still - thanks for the help. :)