Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Are there any Android 2D game Tutorials? Please read :(

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Uziii, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Uziii

Uziii

Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm pretty overwhelmed and don't know where to start. I'm 17 years old, and have a bit of experience in Java from grade 11 Computer Science.

I just don't know where to start; Every tutorial I find is either 2D for computer games, or like 3D for android games. I've set up my SDK, NDK and JDK, as well as unity remote. Any recommendations where I can start? I want to start by being able to bounce a ball off a surface; Any video tutorials or any recommendations would be amazing. I want to make a 2D android game, similar to something like Color switch, for example.

P.S: What's the catch with the asset store? I've seen some full games on it that I would think should be really popular on the app store, and there are only like 10 people that have purchased them for $5 apiece, meaning the makers made $50 off the project at max... Why didn't they just post the game on the app store? Every game I see on the app store that's similar to this one don't work well, so it seems maybe this could be a popular game?

Sorry if I'm just rambling on, I've been trying to work on unity for like 3 days, watched so many videos but have nothing to show for it... I need to learn the basics, like what are "Assets" exactly, stuff like that... I'm a super newbieeee

2. tedthebug

tedthebug

Have you looked here? This will take you through the editor & gradually introduce new bits, & you can use what you learn plus what you already know to then extend on each tutorial by adding new elements &/or changing other bits. Also, did you want to script your own bouncing a ball off a wall or did you want to use physics & physics materials?

3. Uziii

Uziii

Physics and Physics materials. Thanks for the link!

I had another question: what resolution should my game be? I'm watching a video that recommends making your game 480 x 800, but aren't most phones nowadays QHD? Or is that a different kind of screen resolution?

Thanks so much!

4. Martinez-Vargas

Martinez-Vargas

hello, resolution 1080 * 1920 fits any mobile device android.

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Developing for android is virtually identical to other platforms. Any of the PC tutorials will work.

Ryiah and JoeStrout like this.
  6. Uziii

Uziii

Thanks for the responses guys. Honestly, I pretty much gave up on Unity, but I think my brain was just fried because I've been doing so much Unity work with no breaks, so hopefully I'll get back on it tomorrow.

@BoredMormon: I was watching a tutorial where the guy was making a script to move a paddle left and right using keys on a keyboard, how can I adjust the script to work with taps on an android device? (He was making a brick breaker kinda game, I forgot what they're called....)

Also, @Martinez-Vargas : Just curious, even QHD devices like S7, Nexus 6, etc?

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity's official tutorial section has some entries concerning mobile game development.

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/mobile-touch

YouTube is a good source of information too.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD47A8BE52CD8B4E5

8. Martinez-Vargas

Martinez-Vargas

hi I use the aspect 16: 9 for mobile devices, we must also take into account the deve canvas have in mind the following:
    1: select the canvas.
    2: Canvas selections in the inspector Scale.
    3: Ui selections and press Mode Scale With Screen Size.
    4: to cntinuacion choose the resolution you want to use.

Annex this document so that you take a look:

https://docs.unity3d.com/es/current/Manual/HOWTO-UIMultiResolution.html

Attached Files: