Search Unity

Are There Any Alternative for Visual Studio ?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by tahsinXYZ, Aug 14, 2019.

1. tahsinXYZ

tahsinXYZ

I don't want to use Visual Studio, if there is a alternative.Are there any ?

2. LiterallyJeff

LiterallyJeff

Why don't you want to use it?

Yes, there are alternatives. I use VS Code (free), many of my coworkers use Jetbrains Rider (paid), and there's also SublimeText or any text editor with extensions/plugins for Unity debugging and intellisense/autocomplete.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Your choices are limited if you want syntax highlighting and IntelliSense-like behaviour. Below are the ones I'm familiar with but there might be one or two others depending on whether someone has created extensions to support them. By far the most lightweight one is Script Inspector 3 as it's literally an editor extension for Unity.

Visual Studio Code (different program from Visual Studio)
    https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/other/unity

JetBrains Rider
    https://www.jetbrains.com/dotnet/promo/unity/

Script Inspector 3
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/visual-scripting/script-inspector-3-3535

4. lordofduct

lordofduct

You are limited if you want intellisense and the sort... but C# is a pretty popular language and there are tons of editors out there that support it. They range in quality, price (often free/open-source), and all sorts. Just googling for "C# editor with intellisense" comes back with lots of resulsts:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=c#+...7j0l3j69i58.4280j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

As to how good any of them are... well that's subjective to you. I LOVE Visual Studio, and you don't... so my suggestion of a specific one probably won't meet your subjective opinion (though if you gave us an idea of what you're looking for in an editor, and why you don't like VS, that could help us narrow it).

I will say though, even with intellisense. One thing that most all of them will lack (outside of Visual Studio) is recognition of Unity messages. Which Visual Studio has a plugin to understand (of course any editor that will support a Visual Studio plugin like that could potentially work... I wouldn't be surprised if Rider did this).

Ryiah likes this.
  5. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

Why don't you like VS? I mean sure, I loved MD when it was the standard for unity (shut up elitist, it's minimal and fully functional for unity-needs), but there's probably a setting in VS to make it right for you, question is again - why don't you like it?

krishnanpc likes this.
  6. hlw

hlw

If it's not a license problem, you can try other versions of VS too, i had to go back to VS 2017 as the 2019 version was annoying me. I also sometimes use C# shell on android when i need to do small stuffs on the go (can't really test it on unity directly tho)

7. tulkasbeto

tulkasbeto

porque no te gusta VS; lo primero el espacio, lo segundo la velocidad(tal vez ustedes no pero si intentas dar clases con un computador sin tarjeta gráfica, le quitas las sombras a los objetos y puedes trabajar, incluso sin tener openGL 3.0) consume mas de tu equipo a comparación de monodevelop.

8. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

9. nobluff67

nobluff67

Thanks. Nice, works out the box. ms visual studio was throwing false errors on code, spent several hours looking for solutions, gave up and went for the suggested alternative rather.

10. Gold_Rush

Gold_Rush

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  11. Deleted User

Deleted User

visual studio and many others crash my computer because they have something called a code compiler that compiles empty code over and over again taking up all of my CPU RAM and GPU, and my mom thought i was crypto mining

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

and also visual s tudio's intelesense is trash

13. Ryiah

Ryiah

Visual Studio receives a ton of flak but the truth is the system requirements are pretty light. A modern budget CPU with 16GB RAM should have no trouble. GPU is only necessary for rendering the UIs so if you're struggling with VS you're struggling with everything (ie it's not the fault of VS).

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/releases/2022/system-requirements

It's acceptable for most projects. It's not the best implementation but it's not the worst either. JetBrains Rider is about the best but that's up to $149/year and if you're on a computer that is struggling to run VS you have more important priorities than paying for an IDE.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
  14. lordofduct

lordofduct

If you don't know what a code compiler is, I don't think you have much to say about the quality of intellisense.

15. halley

halley

Even way back in 2020 before this thread was necro-posted, I was using ScriptInspector3. Never need to leave Unity. @Flipbookee is still chugging away adding new features and making plans for SI4.

Flipbookee likes this.