Search Unity

Are there any AAA games made with Unity, and if not why not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arowx, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typane

typane

I am poor as S***, also super meat boy had its own engine and the creators had no money during its development. It's not about money its about experience.

Easy isn't bad, but easy allows people to say "Okay I know enough", its blissful negligence like that, that causes me to lose faith in humanity. Sure not everyone needs to know how to create an engine, but most people won't try because now they have a better options.

2. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Your point? they were poor, they did not need to be... that is ridiculous. Why be poor making an engine for a game that could fail no matter how good it is instead of buying an engine(or Unity free) plus a few hundred dollars for add ons that will eliminate the difficulty and let you actually make the game and if it fails its only maybe a year instead of eight.

Yes, what is the problem with that? they then put their knowledge into making more advance games... this is how everything progresses.Say you ask someone to make a engine for a car that performs well, they can pick between a big block of metal to make the engine from or a pre existing engine to work on its a no brainer take the engine and make it perform better, in this scenario games are the added performance Unity is the pre existing engine, people making their own engines are the piece of metal.

If loosing faith in humanity is because we don't reinvent the wheel but instead advance it and add to it...

3. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

No no, there's a difference between being a good game maker and being a good programmer (overlooking other disciplines for the purposes of discussion). And there's only so far you can get with your game making skills if you're not also working on your programming skills. Additionally, you won't get the most out of an engine unless you understand how it works, and that's not something that you learn just by using existing engines. While I don't see the benefit to most commercial projects in doing so, I definitely think that every game programmer should write a whole game from the ground up at some point pretty early on.

I don't think it's the lack of wheel reinvention that bothers typane, I get the impression that it's people not learning things because they think they're already an expert, when really all they're doing is applying things other people have already done for them - a scenario in which they very rarely, if ever, get to the stage where they can actually make new things of their own and add something new.

4. typane

typane

Completely missing the point and blind sighted by your ignorance. Maybe when you finish school, get a degree or have some more experience you will understand more sides of the story. Until then your point is valid and I agreed with that, but its not just.

5. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Knowing enough, is very different to knowing everything.

6. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Sure. Knowing enough can be done as long as you're always actively learning. Knowing everything is impossible. ;)

If you want to make new things of your own then you can't rely on someone else having the answers or providing solutions for you, because you'll often be doing things which nobody else has done (or at least shared) before. "Knowing enough" often isn't about what you know now so much as it is about your ability to learn and come up with new solutions as you go.

7. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

This has run its course... closing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.