Search Unity

Are there 3D Modeling programs that work like Sketchup?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by jeffmorris1956, Jul 24, 2012.

1. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

Are there 3D Modeling programs that work like Sketchup? For example, draw a rectangle, use Push/Pull to create 3D box, draw a line, and use Push/Pull on the line to create "A" shaped roof.

2. Miguel Vesga

Miguel Vesga

3. artzfx

artzfx

Hi Jeff,

I am not sure of your experience with 3D modelling so apologizes if I state the obvious. The features you mention above from Sketchup are contained in almost all 3D apps. These apps just use different names and are hidden among more complex UI's than what comes in Sketchup. I own various 3D apps but have made a quick screenshot of some options contained in C4D where I have drawn a A shaped spline (line) then used three different modifier objects to extrude that A shape along a path or in a certain direction:

The objects allow you set the segment (polygon) control. You can also set the spline as curved or straight to achieve bends. I also included a cube whereby I select a face and simply extrude (pull) it out.

As I mentioned, I used C4D for this, but most 3D apps contain this functionality. Cheetah3D ($99) has such features and is a great app if you own a Mac. It also a simple UI to find your way around. If you have further questions feel free to ask or send me a PM.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  4. mariusz

mariusz

:) I think that funcionality You can see in CAD programs like Autodesk Inventor, Solidworks, Catia...
    but the main problem of all them is... money :)

5. Sir-Tiddlesworth

Sir-Tiddlesworth

Blender would be the best way to go (if you would like free software).
    There is also Wings3d, but I have never used it myself.

6. mk1978

mk1978