Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Are several successive "Play" considered as a single "Session" ?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by mickael_LASZLO, Jul 6, 2020.

1. mickael_LASZLO

mickael_LASZLO

When I try to test the Analytics behavior, I open Unity Editor once and launch my application x times by clicking on the "Play" button.
    Then I expect to get x sessions (one per "Play") in the statistics that are available the next day.
    Instead of that, it seems I get a much smaller number of sessions.
    I wonder (but I'm not sure) if Analytics counts one session per "Unity opening followed by at least one Play".
    Is this the explanation of my observed behavior ?
    If it's not, do you have any other explanation ?

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

If you wait less than 30 minutes, it's considered the same session.

3. mickael_LASZLO

mickael_LASZLO

Thank you very much.
    Is this strange behaviour specific to a Play from Unity Editor, or should I expect it from successive executions of our built application ? With 30 min too?

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

5. mickael_LASZLO

mickael_LASZLO

"A single play or usage period. A new session is counted when a player launches your game or brings a suspended game to the foreground after 30 minutes of inactivity."
    In my case, the game is not suspended. It is stopped. Totally interrupted. It is two different launches.
    That's why I didn't understand.
    But if you say that it is the standard definition/meaning, then I'll have to accept it.
    Anyway, thank you again because you helped me a lot.

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Suspended and stopped-and-relaunched are the same thing with regard to sessions.

7. mickael_LASZLO

mickael_LASZLO

Just to explain a bit more why I thought that each "Play" was supposed to generate a brand new "session" : The "sessionid" field has a different value in each analytics.appStart event that is emitted for each "Play".
    I guess the Analytics server aggregates later the events into one and only "session" when several "sessions" are too close in time, like you said.

JeffDUnity3D likes this.
unityunity