Search Unity

Are people in denial about how hard it is to be a game dev?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by splattenburgers, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xVergilx

xVergilx

May sound too harsh, but not having kids in the first place gives a lot of free time in an exchange.

That's a win for me, I guess?

2. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

Say it, I'm always thinking it. You gotta plan your life. Having said that, having kids is real cool too, kids are smart.

Edit: Haha, it's a lonely kind of win though. I'll probably just end up adopting one day if I don't ship a game. But holy S*** do I not have little kid time right now. Or ever.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    FMark92 likes this.
  3. FMark92

FMark92

Nothing wrong with saying it. I have friends with kids. They're happy. I have friends without kids. They're happy as well. Life is decisions and consequences.

4. Frpmta

Frpmta

I think you misunderstood him.
    Saying you can discard friends and familiars outside of kids rubbed him in the wrong way so he just said just because you are paying child support does not mean 'you haven't abandoned them'.

He is just trying to reply to cynicism with cynicism. His point is that financial responsibility doesn't eliminate abandonment. Your point was that you are doing something 'socially and legally wrong' by abandoning kids contrast to other relationships that do not financially depend on you which is correct. But saying you can just discard your mother because you do not maintain her sounds equally cynical even if not fined by the Law (You said it jokingly I know).

And I advise you better not read the statistics of fathers who move States so they do not have to pay child support :D

There was just no need for all those personal insults.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Antypodish likes this.
  5. FMark92

FMark92

I wasn't being cynical and nothing I said was incorrect, regardless of how strongly he felt about my statements.

6. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

This kind of stuff... lol... of course it is just life. And it is not all down to choice. Sure if you are a teenager (or one of those 40 year old teens) still living at home and have a lot of free time then yeah you have an advantage.

If a person stays single that may be an advantage. I am currently intentionally staying single. I think it is good for me anyway for now and is an advantage at least compared to previous relationships where focusing on building a business became a huge problem and basically flushed several years down the drain each time. Lol

And of course where a person lives can make a huge difference. Like we have seen people on these forums mention in the past some of them if they make $500 per month they can be full-time Indie and live well comparatively speaking to the way they lived before. On the other hand someone living in other countries may need to make $5,000 or more per month. Obviously assuming the basic tech is available and it seems to be the former has a huge advantage over the latter.

Not sure what can be done about all of these things though. Some things we can choose. Some we cannot. I think we should always look for ways to increase the odds but I don't think there is any good in looking at advantages others may have. That is just life. Some people have advantages based on connections, where they live etc before experience and skills even comes into the equation.

xVergilx and Antypodish like this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

I know of a FaZe clan member who broke up with his GF to continue his YT/Pro gaming career. I can't help but wonder how his ex thinks of that... it must suck to know that someone you loved gave you up for a gaming career. :|

Antypodish likes this.
  8. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I don't know about this particular thing but I would guess it wasn't the greatest relationship / his interest in his venture was causing a problem. It is fairly common. The last two girlfriends I had even though things were great for a while when I decided to start an online business that killed the first and the second when I decided to work toward going Indie by creating 5 free games... I made it to completion and release of game two and kaput. Reason simply being these things take time. A relationship needs quality time and when you do such things as starting and building a business of course the amount of attention you can give another person decreases. Some really feel that very much and cannot handle it. Maybe it was the case with these two. Dunno.

Antypodish likes this.
  9. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

He even DM'd me being weird and rude right then about another post. I can guarantee you he wasn't being cynical either.

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Locked for obvious reasons and anyone talking about any other users in negative light gets an infraction. doesn't happen on these forums.

Edit: Can't be arsed to give out warnings but don't argue with other people on forums about personal matters, just game dev. I'll simply ban without warning next time.

Forums are for industry/dev - never personal. Don't do it (anyone).

Frpmta and Ryiah like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.