Search Unity

Are most people using Mecanim Now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jonkuze, Aug 23, 2014.

?

Are you using Mecanim, or Legacy?

1. Yes, I'm using Mecanim! (and you should too...)

65.4%
  2. No, Legacy Rules! (If it ain't broke, don't fix it)

34.6%
  1. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

@superpig, yes that right that should work, but I think that most people would like to scale only some body part for cartoon like character and still be able to retarget all there motion.

2. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

@Velo222, if you only need to scale up your Avatar then you can use the Model Importer scale factor for this, no need to wait for your modeler, or you can scale the root game object: if the modeler did the skinning correctly the avatar should scale correctly, we saw a few case with geometric pivot and offset that didn't work well.

3. Velo222

Velo222

Well, in my case, I did notice scaling evenly across all axes does work (I think) -- for instance keeping the x,y,z scale values the same. However, as I think you mentioned before, I'm wanting non-uniform scaling.

I'm wanting to scale the x and z portions of my character, and leave the y axis alone. For example, the scale of my example model would be Scale: x: 5.8, y: 2.0, z: 4.5 -- or something similar to this.

In that example, the model will stretch badly. But you're right, scaling uniformly does work, and that's good :)

4. dietlime

dietlime

I have been making animations in Blender, exporting them in FBX files. I like that they're recognized in Unity and like that I have direct programming control over them.

I have not been able to find any examples of how to use Mecanim with anything but a humanoid. It appears to include a pre-made armature that just weights vertexes for you?

In my case, I would love the IK feature, but I have a mechanical character which needs absolute precision in the way it's animation deforms for it to work at all. Is there a resource I am missing that covers Mecanim for stuff like this? Without the ability to directly control which vertices are moved by which bones (I guess you make the armature in Unity using Mecanim?) I can't use Mecanim for my project, anyway.

5. angel_m

angel_m

Yes, the subtitles helps a lot, thanks.
    My local language is Spanish.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014