Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Enlighten Problems Driven by Continuous Baking Feature?

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Claytonious, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Claytonious

Claytonious

It sounds like many of us are wrestling with Enlighten getting stuck in various ways while trying to bake our scenes. It has seemed slightly better or worse with each beta, but as of beta 21 things have become worse than ever. I was unable to bake scenes that were successfully baking earlier in the beta 5 series - even smaller scenes without terrains.

Is this so hard to make stable because of the multi-threaded nature of the problem with respect to Continuous Baking?

Could we remove this feature in exchange for a more stable Enlighten experience sooner? And then maybe revisit this feature in 5.1? I'm sure many or most of us in the community would be very happy to trade working bakes in exchange for not having the continuous baking mode.

Just 2 cents...

2. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I usually use continous to tweak the lighting in my scene in real time... then I do my final bakes when I like what I see. I wouldn't call it wrestling with it... then it defeats the purpose of realtime lightmapping.

3. Zomby138

Zomby138

Personally I can't stand continuous mode. Why would I want it to be baking the entire time I'm placing elements, knowing that it's just gonna have to do it all over again when I'm finished?

AaronC likes this.
  4. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

This.....
    even when you just open an empty scene it's start baking, add an object it bake again. Honestly....that really annoying, i prefer it to be off.

5. Claytonious

Claytonious

Well the real question isn't about the pro's and con's of continuous mode as a feature, but rather: would setting it aside for now give us a more stable Enlighten sooner? If so, I'm a strong advocate!

KRGraphics likes this.
  6. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I actually like continuous baking if you set the real-time baking res to something like 2, and you can still work and add elements to your scene. It takes getting used to, especially if you use Enlighten extensively.

7. LaneFox

LaneFox

It seems to keep up rapidly if you start baking from the start of the scene, but will have side effects if you try to turn it on while halfway through making a complex scene.

I also notice that some objects can be too large to be properly handled and it causes the system to hang at Clustering. If it does 'finish' due to some glitch then it fails to grab the files correctly and breaks anyway.

So my advice is if you plan to use it, try to enable it earlier than later and make sure your prefabs are flagged static correctly.

KRGraphics likes this.
  8. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

The idea with continous baking is not that you actaully have it enabled for big scenes.

It is great for:
    * prototyping and understanding lighting in small scenes, because you dont have to press buttons and you get live feedback
    * When tweaking lighting but not moving objects in large scene
    * Making sure your baked data is always up to date in builds

I do not recommend using continous bake to always be enabled when you work in large scenes. Use it where it makes sense.

Roni92 and KRGraphics like this.