Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Are constrained objects grabbable (from OVR Grabber - OVR Grabbable)?

Discussion in 'Animation Previews' started by basilwort5, Feb 16, 2020.

1. basilwort5

basilwort5

I have found with a an arm, using the Animation Rigging preview package, the rigging works great when moving the Source - Target in the Editor. However, when I make the leaf (or tip) a grabbable object so my Quest Controller can grab it and move the arm with the rigging, it does not work so well. It looks like I can move the grabbable a short distance, then it does not follow the grabber. And after a few grab-and-releases, the grabbable can no longer be grabbed (usually around 10 cycles). An example use case would be like I want to grab and shake hands with a robot -- his hand will move because I grabbed it, and his arm will move in accord with his hand from the IK rigging.

My set up, with Two Bone Constraint:
    - add a RigBuilder to the character (followed instructions from the docs)
    - add a set of Rig Constraint objects (followed instructions from the docs)
    ---- Constraints
    ------ ArmTarget
    ------ ArmHint

On ArmTarget, I've added a OVR Grabbable component, a RigidBody, and a CapsuleCollider, same as I would set up a cube or sphere to be grabbale and throwable.

Is this interaction expected to work? I looked through the source, but could not find where it is going wrong. I don't know if the rig and the grab scripts compete with each other, or of the rig takes precedence, or if the event messaging between the controller is being interrupted, or other ?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  2. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

Hi, unfortunately I have very little insight to share on the matter as we haven't experimented much with VR and Animation Rigging.

I know it works though. I've even seen people doing tutorials on it:

I don't see how Animation Rigging could interfere with the OVR Grabbable component. If you disable animation rigging altogether (by just toggle the RigBuilder checkbox), do you still have the same issue?

Otherwise, I would try asking in the VR sub forum, they might have better insight.

unityunity