Search Unity

Are compressed textures saved somewhere accessable by external programs?

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by jewingo, Aug 19, 2019.

1. jewingo

jewingo

Hi,

I'm not to clear on how compressed images are saved within a Unity project - I was hoping to pull compressed textures and assemble them into an atlas. How might I go about "grabbing" these compressed versions of my files? I know I could run an external tool to compress these... I'm currently testing individual textures for clarity with different compression settings with the hopes of optimizing by pooling them all into one texture - it would be nice to not have to rerun compression on each of the files with separate settings using an external tool.

Thanks!

2. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

They are in the Library folder and not externally accessible at any point. If you need a compressed atlas, you generally need to create it from the uncompressed files and let Unity compress the result.

Edit: You can grab the compressed data using Texture2D.GetRawTextureData(), do something with it then put it back with LoadRawTextureData() but that is not something I would recommend for your use, it will make the workflow incredibly painful.