Search Unity

1. We are looking for feedback on the experimental Unity Safe Mode which is aiming to help you resolve compilation errors faster during project startup.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Are Bytes actually useful?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Marscaleb, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Marscaleb

Marscaleb

I'm creating some scripts for my game, and I have some variables that are always going to be low numbers. For example, one will never be anything other than 1, 2, 3, or 4.

Instinctively I want to make that variable type be a byte instead of an int. But I honestly wonder if there is really any technical difference on our modern computers.
    I know in ye olden days it saved a bit of memory and even processing power to use a byte instead of an integer. In modern times that amount of memory is practically invisible. But I wonder if it is technically no different.

If I understand correctly, a 32-bit processor will take a whole cycle to process any variable up to 32-bits, so whether I use a int or a bool it still takes up exactly the same amount of processor power to compute. And with 64-bit processors, even more variable types take only one cycle. So for modern systems there is no difference on the processor if I use an int or a byte. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

But what about memory? Does the way our systems allocate memory also nullify the slight difference between a byte and an int? Or do I still gain that boost to my memory?
    I know that the difference in memory is negligible, seeing as how it accounts to about 1/786432th of a small texture file. But I still wonder if there is an actual difference or if it gets swallowed up with modern architecture.

Furthermore, is there any other advantage I am not seeing? I mean, bools are still useful because there's a lot of operations you can perform with them that you can't with ints. But I can't think of such an advantage with a byte.

I'm coding in C#, by the way. In case it makes a difference.

2. Korno

Korno

In c# bytes are always an unsigned 8 bit integer, so you will save memory over using int or long etc, but unless you are storing millions of them (for example a database) really there is no reason to use them. I used them in some non game stuff as we were handling millions of records with someones age in the data. I mean really, I would be more worried about those variables increasing over the 255 byte limit in the future (due a game design change) than the space saving you would be getting.

martygrof3708 likes this.
  3. lordofduct

lordofduct

@Korno... well, technically not.

A field will almost always take up 32-bits (unless more is needed), no matter if it's 8-bits, 16-bits, or 32-bits. The left over space will just be padding. You can actually pack them in tighter using the StructLayoutAttribute:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...pservices.structlayoutattribute(v=vs.90).aspx

When operating them on the stack, again, the size uses padding, because the processor operates at some word size. commonly 32-bit or 64-bit.

If you have things like arrays, they pack in tightly. So an array of bytes will take up as much memory as each individual byte (rounded up to the nearest 32-bits for off sized arrays).

@OP - if you're laying out a struct or class that uses several fields that could fit into smaller numeric types. Then use the StructLayoutAttribute (for instance, the Color struct would use 4 bytes, all packed in as tightly as possible so the overall struct is only 32-bits). Otherwise, just use whatever is works for what you need.

BBeck likes this.
  4. Jessy

Jessy

I'm working on a Unity project now where I'm packing a color and another piece of information into two bytes, to address LEDs over a serial connection to an Arduino.

5. KyleStaves

KyleStaves

It really, really depends on exactly what you are doing. 99.9% of the time I just use ints, but when writing my voxel engine I used bytes extensively due to both memory constraints and bandwidth constraints (multiplayer).

Vanamerax and Tomnnn like this.
  6. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Voxel anything is a great reason to optimize everywhere you can.

@Marscaleb how about making an enum? Values that are only 1-4 sound like they mean something important. If it's to designate a type or ID, an enum might help. If it's literally just the scope of a numeric value, then sure, use the smallest numeric datatype you want lol.

7. Marscaleb

Marscaleb

Yes and no. I suppose variables like "current player" and "controller number" could be used as an enum, but that would just be a waste to make an enum of "player 1, player 2" and so forth. ;)
    There's also a number of other variables that conceivable could be shifted to being bytes; player lives and health and ammo counts. Honestly a good half or more of the variables used in a game could be converted to bytes because they never really get that high.

Oh, and I had another thought about this. What about online games?

Quite frankly, any type of game could really benefit from using smaller packets for data. Even with high bandwidth, a lot of folks like to have online voice chat while they play, and saving a couple nanoseconds of data transfer can actually make a difference.

Would using bytes instead of ints reduce data to send in an online game? Assuming you were talking about a variable that was actually going to be sent to the other players, of course.

8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yes. In memory, though, a byte is just a 32-bit int with 3 of the bytes masked out and unused. Unless it's a byte array, in which case a byte is really a byte. Also structs can be complicated, since I believe bytes are padded out as necessary to align other types that might be in the struct.

--Eric

martygrof3708 and JanTuts like this.
unityunity