Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Are asset bundles the answer for monthly updates ?

Discussion in 'Asset Bundles' started by GawebStudio, Oct 28, 2021.

1. GawebStudio

GawebStudio

Hi,

I'm creating a game which will be updated monthly. In the game, the player can customize its character with hair, skins and outfits. I'm trying to figure out the best way to pack my assets so that my players don't have to redownload the whole game each month.

For example, in v0.1, I would release 10 hair sets which I'd put in hair bundle volume 1.
    Next month, in v0.2, I would add 10 more hair sets which I'd put in hair bundle volume 2.

This way, no need to redownload volume 1 the second month.

My issue with this workflow is that during customization, I don't need to have ALL the hair loaded at the same time. Loading volume 1 asset already takes 45 sec to load, about 1Gb in size. So the more hair bundles I'll add, the slower it's take. Plus I don't want to keep those in memory since it's wasted space, so loading/unloading repetitively like shown in most code examples is a waste.

Before, I was using Resources.Load but this method forces the player to redownload everything each month.

Is there a way which would allow me to load only 1 hair at a time on request without loading the whole bundle, similar to Resources.Load?

Thanks for any answer!

2. GawebStudio

GawebStudio

To reply my own question, the answer is Unity's addressables. Check their documentation.