Search Unity

Are any other developers making less than $100,000 unhappy with what they have been offered today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RegularSlinky, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Waz

Waz

[
    It's certainly a weird thing to do. Players have historically seen powerful awesome logos like the nVidia, Unreal, etc. ones and seen them as signs of professionalism. Unity finally makes a cool logo then takes the exact opposite tack and directly associates their brand only with amateurism, or worse "personal use" semantics.

Gigiwoo, wccrawford, Socrates and 5 others like this.
  2. Akaishen

Akaishen

There are no differences besides the splash screen.

protopop likes this.
  3. Zeblote

Zeblote

Who wouldn't want to show the fancy animated logo? :O

It's just the 2 words below it preventing people from having fun with it...

Gigiwoo and protopop like this.
  4. Teila

Teila

You attributed a quote to me above that I didn't make. I care only because I don't use bad words like that in the Unity forums. ;)

5. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I hear what you're saying there, the RELATIVE value went down apparently based on all the things you now `don't need to pay for`... but in terms of absolute value, if pro has stuff you like and can use, maybe it's worth the money.

I also think in the spirit of what Unity has said, they did not necessarily put profit before people, and similarly you are putting profit before people and are finding some kind of disconnect. Maybe you can instead look at it as, instead of you not getting much extra for the value, that you're getting a LOT for free that most companies would charge you for, and therefore this is the heartfelt human thing to do... to pay for the pro version, if you need it.

Devil_Inside and landon912 like this.
  6. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

All we ask is they change the android/IOS splash screens for pro users. It's not much really.

Waz likes this.
  7. Teila

Teila

I gave you all my votes! I like the splash screen but Personal seems...well, too personal. :) Indie is better and won't hurt sales due to players thinking we have used personal software commercially.

orb, R-Lindsay and RegularSlinky like this.
  8. landon912

landon912

+ 1. Someone finally said it.

You people complain about every damn thing. How ungrateful are you people?

Edit: This was pointed to the "I've been ripped off because I bought pro people". Get your refunds and stop complaining.

ramand and Devil_Inside like this.
  9. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

Ungrateful? It wasn't a gift, it's something we paid a lot of money for.

SteveJ likes this.
  10. landon912

landon912

And you got exactly what you paid for.

Edit: Unity has offered refunds, make the choice. Either way, can everyone stop complaining about how Unity has suddenly given everyone all their features?

ramand and angrypenguin like this.
  11. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

Free users got what I paid for, and "personal edition" was added to my mobile builds.

12. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

I find it really odd that the splash screen is an issue, a lot of you saying it lowers the quality of your games or the perception of you as a developer. The Personal edition give you all the editor features, it's now up to you to show off your skills, give your game the wow factor and we've given you the tools for that for free. A splash screen lasts seconds, a great game will linger.

Ryiah, Socrates, Fab4 and 5 others like this.
  13. landon912

landon912

As did you. If you're unhappy, get a refund. Either way, it's ridiculous to complain about the new license, when they're generous enough to offer refunds.

thempus and zombiegorilla like this.
  14. Zeblote

Zeblote

At the very least fix that the text on the splash screen is pixelated and ugly

Also players see the splash screen before they see the game.

15. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

So why do you value its removal at $1500?

16. Waz

Waz

So change it then, at least for Pro users. I find it odd that this would be an issue for you.

17. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

"Unity 5 Professional Edition includes access to all future platforms."

Can I get an answer on what this means yet?

18. Aurore

Aurore

You can remove it for Pro.

It's only one of the added things in Pro now.

Ryiah and DMeville like this.
  19. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

Can you tell me what other benefits you get with android pro apart from splash screen removal?

20. Aurore

Aurore

If we add any new platforms in the future, we won't charge you extra if you're a pro customer.

21. R-Lindsay

R-Lindsay

Actually we are happy with a splash screen. Just not the wording of the text. The change request already has over 300 votes and explains one of the problems with it.

orb and Aurore like this.
  22. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

Will they include splash screens?

23. Aurore

Aurore

Ah I see what you mean, I thought you were only talking of the base Pro license. If you make over 100K then it's a requirement to comply with the EULA, and it give you splash screen removal. If you are making less than 100K, then yes it is just splash screen removal for you.

Most likely yes, but no deals have been made so you never know. We really just included this to give you peace of mind that we won't just suddenly start charging you extra for the newest platforms.

Gigiwoo likes this.
  24. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

What if I get a refund for Unity Pro, but keep iOS Pro - do I get a splash screen or not? :D

25. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

"Personal Edition" implies not for commercial use. It also implies an inferior version of Unity (something that is no longer true with Unity 5). If Unity PE is meant for commercial use then there is a disconnect happening here that people understandably find concerning.

I, like many others, love the look of the new splash screen. "Personal Edition" just doesn't feel like the right label for a commercial product.

"Indie" was probably switched to "Personal" for maybe just this very reason. To entice the upgrade to Pro. And that's a perfectly fair business decision for UT to make. It just seems a little off.

wccrawford, Ryiah, Waz and 6 others like this.
  26. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

You can't use Unity iOS Pro without a license of Unity Pro.

27. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

Thanks for your patience answering my questions, it's appreciated.

Just one more... I heard Palmer Luckey talk earlier about oculus rift integration in Unity 5. Is this considered to be one of those future platforms?

28. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Guys, It's a completely different model. I honestly think it's OKAY to debate the new value with other customers. Maybe ONE OR TWO are demanding something "extra", but most of us are just weighing what to do and considering what we think about it.... That doesn't make us "ungrateful", but shouting from the sidelines that we are "ungrateful" when the deal we paid up front for has SO CLEARLY CHANGED, makes you -- what again? OBNOXIOUS?

Why don't you calm down. If this topic doesn't concern you then move on. There is no reason to act like we should have all been psychic half a year ago.... The deal has changed. We are allowed to consider our options without being heckled for it.

29. arkon

arkon

First impressions and all that. If you think the splash screen is not an issue then get rid of it, Or let us pay $10 to get rid of it as it's not such a big issue.

Personally I find it a huge issue, its the single only reason I paid to get rid of it. It says the player is probably going to get an amateur game coming up (mostly true I know, but I don't need to remind players I'm not AAA)

Waz likes this.
  30. bariscigal

bariscigal

So 5 is released and the version 4 upgrades won't be coming from now on right? (At least not fast and without any priority.)

Than I am not really happy with the release of the new buss.model because:
    I am a now a "pro user " of a software that won't work after Apple pushes the 64 bit requirement for my game. Since the Unity 64 bit ios with 4.6.x is broken i have limited time to decide between :

1- paying $ 1.500 more for splash screen removal (750 + 750)
    2- upgrade to free and use a software i have "paid for" as a non paid user and just try not to think 3k i have paid for an obsolete software.

I "have to" upgrade and the choices Unity pushing me doesn't make me happy right now. I dont make near 100k if you guys wonder. I don't think this is fair.

31. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

So create a good game, release it, make at least a few thousand dollars from it, then buy a pro license to get rid of the splash screen... i guess if you're making more than $10,000 profit from your game then it's at least half decent, and you'd have a big enough audience to have some concern about the splash... if you're selling a million dollars worth of ads in your game then obviously you have a huge audience and buying pro makes total sense for the `professionalism`. But I think worrying about the splash, if your game sucks, and has a very small audience, and doesn't sell well, is a bit pointless. It won't suck because of the splash screen. If your game is good, your audience is good, your sales are good, buy pro. And especially, if your game is so bad that the splash screen decides whether it is popular or not, then you really can't be saying that it's the splash screen's fault.

Devil_Inside and landon912 like this.
  32. landon912

landon912

Yes, and that doesn't entail complaining. Evaluate and decide. I think it's quite rude to heckle the developers because you get to get your 1.5k back. I mean how does that even make sense?

"Ohh now they give us what we bought for free. It's SOO awful that now I can get my 1,500 back and still get exactly what I paid for. Or, I can get even more than I paid for, without paying anything extra. Wow, such a ripoff."

Ryiah, zombiegorilla and thempus like this.
  33. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I think you hit the nail on the head. It is all about perceptions. When someone sees "Personal Edition/Version" it implies this is a license for "personal use" only. So I do agree with you. It could definitely be seen as all of these users have either violated a license agreement by taking a personal edition (commonly known as a "learning edition") and used it (perhaps even cracking it) to release a commercial game.

Indie Version would have been so much better. Better still would have been to have nothing on this free version except Powered by Unity and labeled the Pro users accordingly as Powered by Unity Professional.

34. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

Chill out. We're giving them the chance to keep our custom.

wccrawford likes this.
  35. tosan

tosan

Nobody is putting a gun at anybodies head. Take the bite or go and find something better.
    You don't even get any financial lost anyway considering there is a refund option at hand.
    Unity is still a commercial product. No free source. No free support. No free lunch.

And yes ... I'm ready for it 'cause I'm only a "personnel" wannabe game dev since Unity has given me the opportunity today to be one. ... ^^

36. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

When do we get those PRO forum features that let up block idiots and trolls? WORTH EVERY PENNY.

jashan likes this.
  37. landon912

landon912

Haha, nobody is getting all upset except you.
    Woah there cowboy. You can add me to your block list by selecting my name and hitting "Ignore", you're welcome.

38. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Too late troll, I already found the ignore button. ;)

39. bigdaddy

bigdaddy

This, actually, may not be true.

I just read in http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-4-x-pro-and-unity-5-personal-on-same-machine.306536/ the following from Aurore:

wccrawford likes this.
  40. Aurore

Aurore

Alrighty, time to chill out yes?

Gigiwoo likes this.
  41. R-Lindsay

R-Lindsay

It's been an emotional few days for some people :)

42. Waz

Waz

A refund is not a resolution to deliberately changing a product post-purchase.

I don't want a refund. I want what I originally paid for, what I paid for at Unity 3, again for at Unity 4, and paid again for in Unity 5: a Pro version for PC with all the bells and whistles, plus the ability to target iOS and Android without being forced to say "Personal Edition" to my customers.

I've already ported my project to Unity 5 and done a heap of work for the next version, now at the last moment they throw this changed splash screen on me, even after explicitly claiming that it was "just a plain bug" when they added it during the beta (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/what.300156/). But yet again, my foolish trust in UT has been spat back in my hairy face.

RegularSlinky likes this.
  43. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yeah, a license that allows you to make over $100k per year. To small indies that's no barrier at all. To large studios that's where things start. So to me I see that as a pretty reasonable line in the sand between Personal and Pro. And I also think it's pretty reasonable that Unity ask the people who are using their tools for free to give credit by showing their logo.

44. squared55

squared55

Very unhappy, actually. According to this thread, if you worked on something with Unity 4.x Pro, you can't upgrade to 5.x Pro and keep working on the same project. I have 4.x Pro; the student commercial edition because I couldn't afford the full version.

So, basically, I payed $850 to *not* get to use the new shaders, the realtime GI, the new audio systems, and every other new 5.0 feature. And, if I want to upgrade, I have to pay almost double that amount.

But hey, at least I got the dark editor skin.

45. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I strongly suspect that's a mistake. Yes, strictly speaking that's what the EULA says, but I'd be shocked if Unity intend to hold people to that specific clause in this specific use case.

Given that it's completely out of character I wouldn't be too upset about it. I suspect that it's been overlooked because until a few hours ago there wasn't a good reason to downgrade from Pro.

landon912, tiggus and squared55 like this.
  46. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I should have said that I wouldn't be too upset... yet.

As best as I can tell the question was first asked only a couple of hours ago. The answer is likely to have to go via the legal department, so I wouldn't be surprised if it took a day or two.

squared55 likes this.
  47. Saxi

Saxi

You mean $4,500 for most of us that go for Pro.

48. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

So, do you go to Macdonalds and demand to know why they value half a piece of lettuce at the full price of a hamburger? I mean, if you go there and just want half a piece of lettuce the only way to buy it is to buy a hamburger. It's ludicrous!

Even ignoring the feature set now available to everyone, buying Unity Pro still gets you loads of value, starting with the rights to use the engine if you're earning over $100k per year. That might seem so far away to some people that it's not a consideration, but for anyone looking at developing games as more than a hobby it should be front and centre.

DoinSoftware, Devil_Inside and Ryiah like this.
  49. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

My only complaint is that the iOS and Android add-ons are not included in the base price. As a Unity Pro 5 user, I should not need to pay an extra $3000 to remove a splash screen that says "Personal Edition" if I publish to mobile. I already paid $1500 for Pro.

50. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

So what if Unity just charged $4500 up front, but included everything for everyone? Then you're not "paying extra" for the other platforms. And it's still cheaper than the main competitor when you reach $100k (not including the many other costs either way, of course).

51. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Wrong. We will continue to put out patch releases at least every two weeks for 4.6 for the foreseeable future.

bariscigal likes this.