Search Unity

Are any other developers making less than $100,000 unhappy with what they have been offered today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RegularSlinky, Mar 3, 2015.

1. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

As a developer that makes less than $100,000 a year and pre-ordered Unity 5 a long time ago I feel like what was offered today was an insult when compared to what has been given to hobbyists with no intention of ever giving you a penny. If you're giving out Unity 5 without any engine limitations for free, is it too much to ask to give Pro users Android and iOS without splash screens?

2. Dameon_

Dameon_

You weren't given enough free stuff, you gotta complain about the stuff you're not getting for free?

3. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

No, if I knew this was going to happen I wouldnt have paid at all until I earned over $100,000.

4. Dameon_

Dameon_

So get a refund?

5. Zaladur

Zaladur

You can easily ask for a refund and get the personal edition. Now you get it all for free too.

6. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

I intend to unless they offer me something more for my money.

7. Zaladur

Zaladur

Awesome, everyone is happy.

StarGamess likes this.
  8. Ostwind

Ostwind

Well I guess you did not read any of the stuff that has been posted on the site past 2-3 hours? there is version comparison, refund faq etc

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Refunds:
    For those <100k / year who recently purchased or subscribed, you might be able to get your money back (if you desire - as it's still good value ie cloud etc) http://unity3d.com/unity/faq

See the sales page for comparison. There's a lot there. You don't have any grounds to moan IMHO, particularly as this is a you can have your cake and eat it with refunds sort of thing.

Socrates likes this.
  10. bocs

bocs

Yes, I agree...they came so close to everything I was hoping, but IOS/Android still as add-ons is now a deal breaker for me to upgrade, no plans to upgrade my Unity 4 Pro/IOS Pro. (Glad I didn't pre-order 5 now)

RegularSlinky likes this.
  11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This is clearly misguided. You still get all the pro features for ios and android also without paying a dime. Same situation as Personal Edition desktop.

http://unity3d.com/unity/faq

See FAQ and sales page.

12. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

"Same situation as personal edition desktop"

So what exactly do developers working on their own get? Quicker bug reports and a cool skin?

melkior likes this.
  13. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

iOS and Android are still listed as paid add-ons.... Can't find a page that says what I get for buying Pro for iOS...

Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 2.22.23 PM.png

Just the ability to remove the "amateur" screen?

14. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

As the FAQ implies it simply removes the splash screen. You can use Unity Pro for desktop mixed with Unity Personal Edition for iOS/Android if you make less than $100k per year.

wetcircuit likes this.
  15. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

wow... I paid whatever I paid for that...? Hmmm well, it was a consideration, but not the ONLY consideration at the time....

16. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

Thats the thing, at least before you felt like you actually got something for your money.

17. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

If you pre-ordered Unity 5 iOS/Android add-ons and now feel like you don't need them there is a refund period until May 1st, 2015.

18. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

I'll wait until you realise it was a mistake and either drop those prices or offer something else.

19. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

I think Unity level 11 is a pretty good incentive for pro users. I am thinking of canceling my android and iOS sub since I can get level 11 with just my regular pc sub.

GregMeach likes this.
  20. Zaladur

Zaladur

Maybe, as a single developer, it makes more sense for you to get the personal edition. And you know what? Thats ok! Unity is fine with that!

I don't understand why you are complaining. At all. Unity took nothing from you - they simply offered their engine features to everyone else. If the current features of Pro don't excite you as much, get a refund and go with personal.

tomowale and Ostwind like this.
  21. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Well, I'm not whining, but I can't really justify that price for that (I think I paid $1250).... I'm not ashamed of using Unity.

22. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

this is cool!!

WOOT WOOT!! UNITY 5 !!!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  23. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

How do Personal and Professional intermix? I bought Unity Pro 5 + iOS Pro 5 - NOTE no ANDROID Pro. Previously, I deployed with iOS Pro and Android Free by carefully picking which tech I used. Now, I don't think I can do that. Or, if I can, I'm not clear what features I can or can't use.

Gigi

DanSuperGP and protopop like this.
  24. Zaladur

Zaladur

poor word choice - edited it in my post.

25. Josh-Naylor

Josh-Naylor

Administrator

If you deploy to PC/iOS, no splash screen.
    If you deploy to Android, all features just have a splash screen.

26. Josh-Naylor

Josh-Naylor

Administrator

And it's damn sexy.

DennG, DMeville, landon912 and 7 others like this.
  27. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

lool.. yeah im all like "whats all the new news!!?? i dont know whats going on! aaH!" lols

ooh that splash screen IS cool!!

28. Zaladur

Zaladur

All features - but on Android you will have the Unity Splash.

Most of the 'Pro' features aren't used during deployment, so your standard Unity Pro will allow you to use them all. iOS and Android require you to buy the addons to remove the Splash (or if you are making >100,000)

29. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

Does it interfere with VR apps?

30. Josh-Naylor

Josh-Naylor

Administrator

As you can see, you do get more for your money. Team License, Cloud Build Pro, Analytics Pro, Asset Store Level 11 (currently ~$250 worth of assets free).

31. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

I already owned play maker. The rest of what theyre offering free is an oak tree, a grenade and a woman. The rest are just discounts. Not too impressed so far.

Em-de-Nem likes this.
  32. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

yeah!! .. actually Iam more psyched about wanting to buy Pro now.. .. not that i need to right now, but i have always intended to

some of those features, analytics, bug reporting, i guess wouldnt seem very interesting to 1 person thats making a little game.. BUT if youre making a serious project, those things are AMAZING to have

DMeville likes this.
  33. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

Isnt the cloud build pro license just free for 12 months?

34. GregMeach

GregMeach

So.... just what are those "Professional Community Features"?

35. jashan

jashan

To answer your question:

Nope, I'm not unhappy at all! I'm totally overjoyed ;-)

I think Unity 5 is totally awesome, and I think being able to use Unity 5 for the last year or so was totally awesome (admittedly, I wouldn't have needed Pro for that because I already was a beta tester - but still I preordered the first day I could simply because I always do that and never regretted it). And I think it's really cool that now everyone gets access to all the awesome Pro features: This will spare us a lot of whining on the forums and yeah, now I will admit that this probably will improve the graphics of many of the games using Unity Personal Edition.

And while I'm not a big fan of cloud services, I guess I'll use some of them ... and that Level 11 stuff in the asset store also looks cool.

... so ... I really do not see any reason at all for anyone to be unhappy - unless you really want to. In that case: Enjoy!

Now back to work on stuff for the Asset Store ;-)

36. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

Yes.

37. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

"Unity 5 Professional Edition includes access to all future platforms."

Can you tell me exactly what you mean by this?

38. movra

movra

Note, there will be free tiers of Analytics and Cloud Build.

39. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

For realz? For months, I agonized over making the upgrade purchase from 3.x to 5.x. Then, I plunked down my $1,500 (Pro + iOS). Of course, I still don't have Android Pro ($1,500), cause all that buys me is ... a splash screen and analytics + 12 months of cloud builds. I need time to think - I don't understand.

Gigi

VIC20 and ImpossibleRobert like this.
  40. Waz

Waz

With Unity 5 Pro, I now have Unity claiming the iOS and Android versions of my game were made with "Unity Personal Edition", which it is not. It is made with Unity 5 Pro with iOS and Android addons. For extra deceptive conduct, see also this thread where it was claimed to be "just a plain bug"... http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/what.300156/

Unity, please, change the splash screen for iOS/Android add on for Pro to remove the "Personal Edition" - or I might as well save the $1200 and get a refund and have the same splash screen on PC too.

41. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Here's the simplest summation:

Ryiah likes this.
  42. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

Also, why am I unable to post in the unity pre-order forum? Is it closed now?

43. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

duuuuuudee!!!! unity 5 is AWESOME!!!!

all you whiners should be SHOT! ... dude!!!!!! im gonna buy Pro (when i can) ... JUST for my appreciation of having all these features be free to me now!!
    (and my income is like ... well.. nothing ><)

jashan likes this.
  44. tswalk

tswalk

the 12 months of cloud build are a dud... should at least last through the 5.x cycle.

the pro benefits are nice... really dig the Asset Store Level 11, will be like Christmas more often haha...

45. elbows

elbows

I pre-order upgraded from 4 Pro perpetual to 5 Pro subscription towards the end of last October. No mobile Pro licences, sadly haven't been able to afford them since I bought version 3 + iOS pro back in the day.

I am absolutely fine with what was announced today. I'm most likely going to stick with my subscription, at least till the initial 12 months are up. Because I want access to beta/preview versions, and I expect Unity to deliver some important additions to version 5 as the year progresses. If the initial batch of Unity Asset Store Level 11 Deals had been of more use to me, I would have an even better warm feeling about today, but thats just the way it goes. My wish for Level 11 is not more free stuff, but a broader range of high quality, high profile assets available with at least a bit of discount.

If I had pre-order subscribed to 5 many months before I actually did, whilst already owning 4 pro perpetual at the time, I doubt I would be happy today.

46. Waz

Waz

So you *didn't* buy it, and now abuse those of us who did?

Ony likes this.
  47. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

i dont make your decisions

... unity 5 is sooo awesome!! ... money or not, ITS AWESOME!!!!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  48. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

49. bigSadFace

bigSadFace

As a non-pro user I am very pleased with today's announcement; however I can't agree I would feel the same if I was a pro user. I just can't see the value in the proposition for those earning sub $100,000.

50. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

Any future platforms can be exported to via Unity Pro, but not Personal. I believe WebGL is currently a beta, and once released will be Pro only.