Search Unity

Are all engines FOV the same?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by unitrix, Apr 16, 2010.

1. unitrix

unitrix

I was just curious if games and engines in general have the same fov? By that I mean does 90 fov in one game/engine look the same as 90 fov in another?

Or would say a unity game that runs the same game from another engine look only the same at 60 fov where the other engine runs it at 90?

I guess im just asking if the calculations for fov are all the same?

I am just curious because I read that most fps games have 90 fov and im not sure if unity conciders that default for their fps games or maybe they concider 60 their default.

Sorry I hope you guys understand what I am trying to ask.
    Thanks for your time!

2. Tysoe

Tysoe

You can make the FOV whatever you want, it's basically just an angle you set for the camera. Changing the FOV is like changing the lense on a SLR camera and takes a couple of seconds to change in unity.

For FPS the thing that will probably most change the look of your game compared to other games is the scale you build your levels at. A lot of FPS games model interiors larger than life size by 50% or so to make things look more natural and less cramped and easier to get the characters through doors etc. So it's not just the FOV you have to watch out for when comparing FPS made in different engines.

3. unitrix

unitrix

I know you can change the fov, I know that games are built differently, what I am asking is that if the same game was done in two different engines, would the fov be calculated the same way. I mean like for example does 90 fov give the same effect in unity as it would if you say set 90 fov in the unreal engine?

4. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I'm not sure, but I think they are!
    Havent tested it on unity, but they are the same in many software!

5. Tysoe

Tysoe

I'd say yes it will be the same with the same models, and camera transforms.

6. unitrix

unitrix

Well Unity camera defaults to 60 fov, meanwhile I think unreal defaults to 90. When I play the unreal demo that runs 90 fov it feals fine and you dont notice that much skeweing at the corners. When I play the first person unity shooter demo it feals very similar and looks very similar, but when I put the fov to 90 in unity, it makes everything extreamilly skewed!
    I mean it doesnt even resemble closely to what it looks like in the unreal demo.
    So I am just curious if unity actually defaulted the fov to 60 witch is their standard for fps games, whitch is basically 90 in unreal engine?

7. unitrix

unitrix

Perhaps maybe the way the game is built effects the way it looks in different fovs? What is better fov for fps games that are open world with large terrains vs enclosed buildings?

8. Julian-Glenn

Julian-Glenn

There is no standard. Many games use 45, 60, etc. It's up to you as the "artist" to determine the players fov.

9. Sycle

Sycle

unitrix - generally yes, FOV is calculated in a very standard way and the way the geometry looks at a given FOV will be consistent between engines.

Only caveat I can think of is if the engine calculates vertical or horizontal FOV. Vertical FOV will reveal more screen as the viewport 'widens', while horizontal FOV will appear to zoom in. (this can be an important consideration for widescreen - Unity uses vertical FOV btw)

In these cases, the same FOV value would give different results. (except when the viewport is a square)

10. nintari

nintari

What Sycle says about different game engines is true. I've seen engines calculate FOV based on Vertical, Horizontal and Diagonally. So when trying to translate an FOV setting from one game to another its important to find out how the engine is calculating. If I recall correctly Quake was horizontal and the default was 90. Unreal is probably the same. Many game engines today use vertical calculations because the width of the monitor can vary a lot. The last engine I used the calculation was diagonal which is rare. I think 90 horizontal translates to 67.5 vertical and 100.5 diagonal.

That said I am not sure how unity does the calculation but I am guessing if the default is 60 then it's probably done vertical.

NomadKing likes this.
  11. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

^ This. A vertical FOV is common. The horizontal FOV will be scaled appropriately.

Gigi

Luemus and NomadKing like this.
  12. Zeblote

Zeblote

However, sometimes players are absolutely not happy with the fov they're appearantly supposed to play at. And if the game doesn't have a fov slider to fix this, what do you do? You uninstall the game.

People watching certain youtube reviews will know what I mean...

13. MonoLightTech

MonoLightTech

I think this is all about Vertical-Horizontal FOV calculation. However, in this site you can see 1920x1080 (16:9) at horizontal 90 fov equal to 59 (nearly 60) in vertical fov. Unity uses vertical fov (and it's default 60v 90h). And If you want to calculate/convert horizontal fov in Unity, look at this blog post. Happy coding! :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    NomadKing, chelnok and angrypenguin like this.
  14. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

This is the first thing that popped into my mind, too.

What do you mean by this?

15. Whippets

Whippets

heh @angrypenguin got necro-duped :) Sycle probably not going to answer a 5 year old post :)

Gigiwoo and R-Lindsay like this.