Search Unity

Are addressables open source?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by liortal, Oct 31, 2018.

1. liortal

liortal

I was wondering if development of the addressable package is open source (or going to be open sourced) ?
    I was looking for the GitHub repo under the Unity organization but could not find one.

2. 5argon

5argon

There is no public repo but after a certain Unity version the code is in your project `Library/PackageCache` folder. You could look and edit everything there and it take effect immediately. However I have seen UT talking about making the repo public and allow us to send PR.

3. unity_bill

unity_bill

It's not on github, but the source is available to you. I'm not sure if I had to adjust settings to get this, but in your project view, below (not inside) Assets is Packages. From within that, you can right click on any package and see it in explorer/finder. That'll have the full source and the license file. I'm no lawyer, so I don't know what may or may not legally count as "open source", but I believe the license says you can copy our code into your project to modify it if you need to.

we do plan to be on a public repo at some point.

-Bill

4. liortal

liortal

Yes I know I have access to the source code, but was wondering whether I can submit PRs

ModLunar likes this.
  5. unity_bill

unity_bill

for now, not really. Once we make a public repo, then we'd love PRs. We'll be sure to announce it on the forums once we're there.

-Bill

ModLunar, ErotesGames and einWikinger like this.
  6. dimmduh1

dimmduh1

Can I upload code to public github to easy access and inspect?
    I mean, will I break any policy?

anisimovdev likes this.