Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Are 2D Lights compatible with a Perspective Camera?

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by Igotlazy, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Igotlazy

Igotlazy

I’ve been messing around with the new lights and while they work for the most part, they seem to glitch out horribly on large sprites and when the Camera rotates on the X and Y axis. This is at least, when the Camera is set to Perspective. On Orthographic is seems fine. Are the 2D Lights compatible with a perspective camera? Is there anything I can do to get rid of the issues I listed?

dvoronin and Klavakrapstis like this.
  2. dvoronin

dvoronin

I'm having the same issue. 2d lights seem not to work at all with perspective camera.

3. Chris_Chu

Chris_Chu

Unity Technologies

I know replied to you in another thread as well, but just for completeness.

They should work. If they don't something is wrong. If anyone is having issues with this please submit a bug report if you can.

4. postmortembg

postmortembg

Can confirm - in 2021.1.15 they don't work at all with perspective camera - the only working is global 2d light

5. Karl_Bot

Karl_Bot

NotaNaN likes this.
  6. laserDogRob

laserDogRob

I'm at the unfortunate point now where I might need to strip out the 2D lights and rework everything with 3D lights. I have 3 weeks to port the game to switch (and actually finish the game) and I'm pulling my hair out.

NotaNaN likes this.
  7. kennyy_

kennyy_

Unity Technologies

Hi, I've backported the fix to the lighting issue with perspective camera. Apologies for the delay and I'll keep you updated when the package is published.

RuneShiStorm, NotaNaN and laserDogRob like this.
  8. laserDogRob

laserDogRob

Omg, that's amazing. Thanks so much. I've been stressing about this so much. Just got into the office this morning with a plan to rewrite the whole lighting of the game with 2 weeks left to launch. THANK YOU

9. kennyy_

kennyy_

Unity Technologies

I can't guarantee the package can be published in time. The fix is simple enough that you may want to change your package locally. Please take note, doing so will cause the package to not automatically update since it's a local copy.

Here are the steps if you plan to proceed:
    Navigate to ProjectName/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@11.0.0
    Copy this folder to ProjectName/Packages folder
    Open ProjectName/Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@11.0.0/Shaders/2D/Sprite-Lit-Default.shader to edit

Change line 89
    Code (CSharp):
    1. o.lightingUV = half2(ComputeScreenPos(o.positionCS / o.positionCS.w).xy);
    Let me know if this works for you or if you need more help.

NotaNaN likes this.
  10. laserDogRob

laserDogRob

Ah, thanks for this. I tried to get the package locally before but didn't manage it. I'll give this a go.

11. laserDogRob

laserDogRob

That seems to work great, thanks. The editor seems a lot slower, a lot of slowdowns in gameplay, but that's most likely a completely separate issue. (Builds run fine)

12. laserDogRob

laserDogRob

FYI - I installed the latest version (2021.1.22f1) and (for both of our workstations) playing the game in the editor was unplayable. Rolled back to 2021.1.20f1 and it's working fine again.

Not sure this is a known bug, just throwing it out there. We're totally up against it at the moment so no time to try get a simple repro to raise a bug report I'm afraid.

13. kayroice

kayroice

@kennyy_, can you confirm that this fix will make it into a 2021.1.x release (or not)?

14. RuneShiStorm

RuneShiStorm

is this still the way to fix the lights in perspective camera?
    My lights are all over the place in Unity 2021.1.17f1

15. laserDogRob

laserDogRob

Worked for me in 2021.1.19f1

RuneShiStorm likes this.
  16. kennyy_

kennyy_

Unity Technologies

@laserDogRob Thanks for confirming the local fix!

@kayroice Yes, I can confirm the fix will make it into the next packaged release 2021.1.24. Unfortunately, I cannot give you a release date.

@RuneShiStorm Please be aware that this is a local only fix. I would still recommend removing the copied package and updating to the new release once it is out.

RuneShiStorm and kayroice like this.
  17. RuneShiStorm

RuneShiStorm

any date when its out? - I see you cant give relase date yet. Thanks!
    I, like some other users are ready to launch game but can't due to the light -glitch :S
    thnkas!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  18. kayroice

kayroice

I just upgraded to 2021.1.24 and my 2D lights are still broken when using a perspective camera; this is using the URP-11.0.0 package.

I didn't see a 2D lighting fix mentioned in the 2021.1.24 release notes (maybe I missed it?). @kennyy_ , do you happen to know if the fix missed the 2021.1.24 release, and if it's maybe scheduled for a later release?

19. kennyy_

kennyy_

Unity Technologies

@kayroice It looks like the fix didn't make it to 2021.1.24 release. I will check the release schedule and update this thread once I find out more.

Skar_Universe and kayroice like this.
  20. Skar_Universe

Skar_Universe

any update on this? hope the fix makes it in the next release.. really looking forward to starting lighting and LD with perspective cams.

[EDIT] Sadly light's still seem broken on 2021.1.25f1.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    kayroice likes this.
  21. kayroice

kayroice

Skar_Universe likes this.
  22. Skar_Universe

Skar_Universe

Sad... is there a timeline on when 2021.2 will be out of BETA? any clue?

23. RuneShiStorm

RuneShiStorm

It workes for me in 2021.2.0b14 - but sadly I need it to work in 2021.1.17f1 since thats the version Im porting to conosle.

24. RuneShiStorm

RuneShiStorm

This worked now! I tried in the past but since you're not using . or 1. etc I just changed the line in the original folder. Im an idiot >_< So in case another dyslectic idiot like me sees this. Let me dummify it:

1. Copy Folder (com.unity.render-pipelines.core@11.0.0) -> To -> ProjectName/Packages.
    - This Folder: com.unity.render-pipelines.core@11.0.0 is located in ProjectName/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@11.0.0.

2. Once you have copied com.unity.render-pipelines.core@11.0.0 to ProjectName/Packages, open a file called sprite-Lit-Default.shader.
    - Its now located in ProjectName/Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@11.0.0/Shaders/2D/Sprite-Lit-Default.shader

And change line 89 to

o.lightingUV = half2(ComputeScreenPos(o.positionCS / o.positionCS.w).xy);

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  25. Skar_Universe

Skar_Universe

Thank you.. this does work indeed. Now I just need to make sure I delete this new folder I created once the fix is officially released right?

RuneShiStorm likes this.
  26. kennyy_

kennyy_

Unity Technologies

Hi all, the fix made it in 2021.1.27f1.

27. kayroice

kayroice

Installed 2021.1.27f1 and confirmed that 2D lights are now working with perspective cameras. Thank you @kennyy_ for pushing that fix through the release pipeline.

28. harusame-

harusame-

Hello,

I've a similar problem with unity 2021.2.0f1, any plan to fix it ?

29. Chris_Chu

Chris_Chu

Unity Technologies

It should be fixed in the latest 2021.2.

When we make fixes we usually make them in the latest version and backport all the way back to a certain version. If it is not fixed in 2021.2 and is fixed 2021.1 then a mistake was made in backporting. Definitely let us know either in a bug report of the forums if this is the case.

30. Geoffl

Geoffl

I'm seeing what sounds like a similar issue with perspective cameras: when using a perspective camera (even with no rotation) any x or y rotation on a sprite will cause the lighting to be in the wrong place. Works fine with orthographic cameras (see scene view), but perspective + x/y sprite rotation seems to cause problems (camera rotation does not).

This is with Unity 2021.3.10f1 and URP 12.1.7. @Chris_Chu @kennyy_ Is this something you'd expect to be working or is this scenario unsupported?

31. Geoffl

Geoffl

Correction: I saw the same behavior when rotating the camera by the same amount and with the sprite unrotated. I guess the issue is just lighting/shadows don't work with any kind of relative rotation.

32. Geoffl

Geoffl

Jamez0r likes this.