Search Unity

ARCore XR vs ARCore

Discussion in 'AR' started by patrickdemooij98, Feb 5, 2019.

1. patrickdemooij98

patrickdemooij98

Hey,

Does anyone know why there are 2 plugins for ARCore? I get that the ARCore XR is for the ARFoundation plugin, but why? Let's say that I want to use the ARFoundation and want to create my own cloud anchor implementation as it doesn't exists yet. I won't be able to currently do that as the ARCore XR doesn't have cloud anchors while ARCore plugin does. (Or I missed it somewhere).

2. BuoDev

BuoDev

This has been asked before, but the ARCore/ARKit plugins can't be used while using ARFoundation. ARFoundation essentially combines both platform specific plugins into one so you don't need to write separate code for each platform.

According to the road map in this Unity blog post. Cloud Anchors is still in development as of Dec 18th. The nice thing about ARFoundation is you can easily make AR apps for both platforms at the expense of waiting for new features to be implemented.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  3. EnsenaSoft

EnsenaSoft

It is now May 22nd. Is there any update on when Cloud Anchors will be available in Ar Foundation? Waiting for new features is fine if they come within a reasonable time. This is starting to be a long time for a really basic and needed feature.