Search Unity

ARCore with UnityRemote and the Device Camera

Discussion in 'AR' started by fractalsynapse, Mar 31, 2018.

1. fractalsynapse

fractalsynapse

Hi Friends,

I am embarking on AR development and very excited about it. I am hitting a wall here though and think some code may need hacking to make Unity Remote use the Android Camera in the unity editor.

I have an S8 and the 2017.3.1f1 Personal Unity edition. Project is the simple ARCore HelloAR.

After fighting with the setup and tools fiasco, and fixing C# errors that spawn errors... I was able to build and deploy an APK.

Device Install worked. I was able to find surfaces and plant the little droid on surfaces. YAY!.

NEXT : Workflow, I can't possibly build an app having to deploy an APK each time to test a few lines of code. This is where I saw on youtube "Unity Remote 5" from the Pirates AR dude. PERFECT!

So I installed and made the platform changes for the Editor to "Any Android Device"

THE RESULT:
    ---------------------------

Unity Remote shows what appears to be only the unity camera view. The solid blue background with the UI Label at the bottom that says "Searching for Surfaces"

*yes permissions were accepted at the start, and Unity Remote re-installed.
    ----------------------

I had a look at the ARCoreBackgroundRenderer.cs and placed a debug message which is stating that when we run that it never gets a texture to set. This tells me that likely the only thing not happening is the Camera is not being used or an access / code select issue or bug.

Code (CSharp):
    3. private void Update()
    4.         {
    5.             if (BackgroundMaterial == null)
    6.             {
    7.                 Disable();
    8.                 return;
    9.             }
    11.             Texture backgroundTexture = Frame.CameraImage.Texture;
    12.             if (backgroundTexture == null)
    13.             {
    14.                 [B]Debug.Log("backgroundTexture is null");       //the line I added[/B]
    15.                 Disable();
    16.                 return;
    17.             }
    19.     // This is just a snippet of the top of the update function

---------------------

So I'll try to dig deeper but right now the question is: Why is Unity Remote 5 getting null from Frame.CameraImage.Texture?

When I run from the Editor , I get the blue solid background with the "searching for surfaces" message on both the android device and the editor. I expect to see the Android camera as the background and image processing source.

Is there a mix up in the ADB device ports? does the video flow on different ports? how can I test / troubleshoot this?

I attached an image as well, you can see the stream of my log message. unityremote.png

THX!

2. fractalsynapse

fractalsynapse

OK I got it. What I did was downloaded the latest master from ARCore github. My intution about some of the LifecycleManager changes to make it run in the first place were possibly occurring.

Download the master branch zip here https://github.com/google-ar/arcore-unity-sdk

extract it. then copy it to your project assets folder and overwrite the previous GoogleARCore folder.

Now when you hit play on the editor, it may ask you something NEW. Like "Would you like to install ARCore Instant Preview?" CHOOSE "HELL YEAH!"

Bang it works - finally :)

unitywin.png

3. RegisVe

RegisVe

Hi, I'm on macOS, having the same issue. Updating ARcore doesn't seem to fix it for me though.

4. Ikaro88

Ikaro88

i try with Unity 2017.4.5f1 (64-bit) and the github but the arcore istant preview not work